Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Computer Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SanCap, Dec 14, 2013.

1. SanCap

I am looking to by a small laptop just for Naza and Gimbal type programs. What version of windows are you using for this purpose? I am a using a mac with Parallels right now and do not want to do this anymore as I want something more portable.

2. kenskid

I'm a Mac person too but I have an old toshiba laptop running vista that works fine. Lol....you can probably find a computer with vista on it for under $75 on eBay I would imagine!

3. SanCap

Thanks for the info but I have a hard time buying used electronics sight unseen. It seems all new computers have windows 8. something. I do have a legite copy of windows 7 pro that I could install on a new computer if Windows 8 does not work well with NAZA.

4. Hiway

Used to be a person could find "barebones" lappys and desktops- probably could still find a desktop pc... hell, people would pay you to take it away.

Small, barebone laptops and netbooks are hard to come by- but yardsales and craig's list is a good place to start.

Here is a refurbby netbook on tigerdirect for under 3 bills- it's more than what you need to run the naza software.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=3988

5. OI Photography

Jim, I bought an older-model refurb laptop from a friend of mine who runs a PC repair shop, for $150 (incl shipping), and that's what I use on my workbench now. Not very powerful, but plenty good enough to run the software needed for this hobby. You can probably find a shop locally like that who can get you a cost-effective machine with Win7 on it, or I can refer you to the guy I got mine from.

6. SanCap

Thanks for the info.