complete new guy

Reaction score
I am brand new to this forum. Forgive me for a possible bad question. I am just starting to wade throught the back-posts to educate myself more.

I am thinking of getting a P3 advanced. Right now I am only learning on a cheap ($150) quad. I have a lot of experience with small indoor blade helicopters and would like to make the switch. Learning is just going ok.
Im hoping the P3 would be more stable.

Since Im an old guy, and not very technical...I don't get the relationship with phones and ipads, and the P3. Especially when flying greater distances. Its a challenge for me to go to the park and even fly figure 8's at a distance of maybe 25 yards with my cheap model...I never really feel totally in control....a small stick error seems to lead to crashing or panic.

With the advanced quadracopters, is the pilot still stick -flying manually?
Seems like the potential for crashing expensive models is high especially the farther away they get... or the higher up

I think this vague question is mostly because I don't understand...not a problem with the product...
Am I right in learning on a small cheap model, or is that not helping?
mike

Reactions: daveleeds
The Phantom is very forgiving. Just take it slow. If you get stressed just let go of the sticks and it just sits there in the sky steady as a rock!
If you get lost hit the return to home button and it just comes back!
Forget trying to track it in the sky. Just look at the screen until it gets close then switch to the Mk1 eyeball.
It really is very easy and forgiving if you don't rush things. Remember height is an advantage. You only hiot things nearer the ground so vertical take off to a good height - same for landing!

Its easy to fly a P3 because you are relived of the throttle stick. If you don't touch it, P3 retains its height so you need to focus on one less variable. If you fly slowly, you will have enough reaction time to control it and get back full controls.

Before start flying, check all the basics and set RTH to at least higher than the nearby objects. Most of the accidents are reported for hitting a brach of a tree or a corner of a building, so take it up to the safe height first and then start flying.

Learn to get the directions from Radar, thats very important.

Best wishes.

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum Mike. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

If you learned on a non-gps quad you will have a better handle on a Phantom. It flys very easy but make no mistake, you still need to be in full control at all times. The device used gives you your controlling app & the FPV. It is a visual aid while you are flying and will alert you to issues.

Also, have a look at this link - Know Before You Fly

Enjoy your new quad when you receive it and fly safe!

Reactions: Ken Hanks
Old is a relative term. I'm not the guy that takes my investment to the limits. I did not have any device or "Gucci" phone, in fact its just a flip that doesn't take pictures, so I purchased the one that seemed to have the least issues....ipad air 2 wifi only (out of ignorance on my part because I didn't want a data plan) but found that I needed to have GPS that would have come with a cellular device that didn't need to be activated....so I had to purchase a mobile Dual Electronics xgps160 for $150.

"The relationship of the device or phone" stores the DJI go app. cable connected to the RC Radio Control. I ended up purchasing Autoflightlogic autopilot to give me more skills than I can demonstrate with just the 2 sticks. This program along with the "smart flight" from DJI go app. require you to be in the "F" mode to fly a planned route. The RC also has what you have been used to "A" or ATTI mode where your skill level flies the Quad without assistance from satellites. Then the mode showcased by these Quads is "P" mode where more than 7-8 minimum to as many as 20 USA & Russian satellites are used to keep your Quad stable during flight while wind is pushing it around.

Where are you located? I'm about 40 miles north of Los Angeles. There are plenty of people in your area that would be happy to show you, explain things and even give you a test fly.

Im in Chicago.
Thank you for the replies
I guess that's the biggest issue I wasn't getting. The only type of flight Ive experienced is visual and maneuvering of both sticks. I didn't ( and still don't ) realize that the screen and gps assist you in flying. I just figured you squint and hope to keep your craft in-site when getting further higher / farther.

OK possible second dumb question.... I am far from technically advanced. Even some of the things mentioned here are something I will have to read up on to understand whats being talked about. Maybe its better for someone like myself to avoid a better more exdpensive craft? Seems like these might be more fitted to computer-type guys?

Although there are a lot of features on these aircraft that are very advanced compared to the toys you have flown prior, the one great feature is stability. As others have mentioned, if you are flying the good old fashioned way by stick then if at any moment you feel you are out of control simply release the stick and the craft will stop all movement and hover in place. Many other quads with a GPS based flight controller will essentially do the same thing but not many will do it as precisely. All will drift to some extent. I would not rule this model out if you are not a computer minded person. As mentioned by others take your time and read as much as you can. For many, the learning is half the fun. I'm 52 but do consider myself technology literate and still needed to learn about the many features that I have yet to tap into. It's a hobby that sucks you in and won't let you go as long as you don't try to run before you walk. If at all possible, try to find a local flying club or drone users group to meet others that have experience and can give you tips and suggestions. It's also more fun to share your flying experience with others. Consider joining AMA for additional support and resources. A local hobby shop is another place to meet people and get assistance. Happy flying.

I started out with a p3 pro. Never owned a quad before. I flew u controlled planes in the 50's. I found the learning curve was quick and easy. When u get nervous just let go and it hovers. Just keep it high and don't fly near people or structures. It took me a good week before I took it out of beginners mode. I am a 71 year old disabled veteran. Age doesn't matter just go for it.

Reactions: snowghost and Daddy
Welcome to the group, I would definitely buy a DJI P3. I have a P3 Pro and absolutely love it. It just about flies itself. There is a learning curve. I did not do my first flight for almost 2 weeks after I purchased it. And did two short flights that first time out, right in my front yard. Total time in the air was about 20 minutes. Lots of great information and help on line when you have any question or need to know how to do something. I have learned to update the bird, batteries, and controller. And do a lot of in the house flying with my bird on the kitchen counter, props removed and in their storage bag. The DJI GO controller software has a great flight simulator that teaches you how to fly the bird, without it ever leaving the ground. I have a nice 9.7" Samsung Tablet, and it really lets you see what the bird is seeing in the air. So again, go for it, you will not be sorry that you made the purchase, and again, I would go for the DJI P3P, the camera images are fantastic.
And one last thing, I will be turning 80 years old next April. Never to old to learn new tricks.
GR

thanks so much for all the replies. I already feel like I know 100% more than this morning !
Is there any advantage to buying at one place or another? I saw best buy is even carrying them now.....

I am speaking as a newbie pilot. I got my very first drone, a P3 Advanced, for Christmas. I am completely impressed and happy with the way it flies. The only time I begin to feel panicked is when I find myself watching the drone instead of my display. When that happens I do as others have suggested and simply let the sticks go. The drone simply stops and sits there, ready for me to continue. I did have an RC plane a couple of years ago and crashed it on the first flight, but the P3 is very newbie friendly. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

As a recent buyer of a P3P, I understand your confusion. Coming from a P2, I initially didn't understand the relationship between hardware and software (app). I've since learned that the remote hardware controls the P3 flight, and the app gives you telemetry, video, camera control and a host of other features. The complexity of the app can be intimidating initially but you don't have to know everything about it at first. Learn the important stuff before you ever fly and then grow into the app. I still spend way too much time fiddling with the software instead of flying but getting better with practice.

I'm brand new also and was learning on an inexpensive toy as well. Like you I crashed more than I was flying . Got me the DJI Phantom 3 Advanced cause I don't need the 4K camera (only difference from the Professionallythe ). The difference is like night and day. The Phantom is so stable you will think someone else is the pilot. I highly recommend you make the change. You'll be glad you did !

Bought mine online at $999.00 with a 149.00 value case free if ordered in December 2015. Great deal. Received it before Christmas too. Drone-world.com

Welcome, "Old Guy", so am I. I'm old school as well, these young guys and gals will really help you out. I'm flying a P3A, no issues. Hit me up anytime.

hello everyone.. I am from Quebec Canada I just bought a phantom 3 pro with the kit that includes the battery charger, 3 batteries the drone the controller 8 propellers the DJI back pack also bought an samsung galaxy tab 4 8.0 inches android tablet which the seller told me that the GPS was incorporated...
I bought everything on the 25 of November and practice 2 weeks before I put on the propellers..I don't know if it's me but i found the DJI go simulator a bit poor ro help beginners or maybe I wasn't using it the proper way..
I noticed there are 3 programs for to use the drone on the android.. DJI go, Ultimate Flight and Litchi which one is the best or does all them program does something better then the other.
thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks for all this...a great start.
I think the relationship with video and stick flying is the part I least understand. I thought like with the cheaper toy-copters...you watch the quad fly and make stick adjustments..

When Pete said"The only time I begin to feel panicked is when I find myself watching the drone instead of my display" ...that's the part I don't really understand. So you're flying while watching the screen instead of the vehicle?

If I were you I would
Thanks for all this...a great start.
I think the relationship with video and stick flying is the part I least understand. I thought like with the cheaper toy-copters...you watch the quad fly and make stick adjustments..

When Pete said"The only time I begin to feel panicked is when I find myself watching the drone instead of my display" ...that's the part I don't really understand. So you're flying while watching the screen instead of the vehicle?
If I were you I would start out watching the drone almost exclusively (but keep an eye on battery level), just like you do with the cheap quad.

If I were you I would

If I were you I would start out watching the drone almost exclusively (but keep an eye on battery level), just like you do with the cheap quad.

Agree. Also don't solely rely on GPS as you need to be able to control the Phantom if you lose satellites. ATTI mode should not invoke panic.

Do NOT fly thin your Back yard.
there are to man trees and other things that you can and will hit with your phantom causeing it to crash.
find a Big open field to go fly in.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31