Complain to DJI about lack of channel 7 support and choices

Reaction score
I think we all need to complain to DJI about this latest move they have done to try to coerce customers to buy a $100 RC upgrade when a simple $10 lever can actually do the same thing. Feel free to cust and paste this message I sent and fill their customer service inbox with these messages. It makes me think that my next quad/camera setup will be from any manufacturer other than DJI if they are going to intentionally manipulate their firmware to disable features that we all want to make more money.

"I see no reason why DJI cannot enable a choice for users to adjust the gimbal tilt from relative to absolute if they are using a rear lever to control the camera tilt. Version 1.0.0.4 did allow this, while version 1.0.0.6 only allows for relative control. It would be very poor form to try to force customers to upgrade their remote controller by creating unwanted features in new firmware upgrades that cannot be reversed. Give your customers the choice. Creating extra expense for such simple features will drive us away to other products by other manufacturers if you don't take good care of your customer base."

Fact checking - I have this correct I believe. Those of you with engineering degrees, tell me if I'm wrong.

Re: Complain to DJI about lack of channel 7 support and choi

I bought a new 5.8 ghz rc transmitter to vision + with tilt wheel. it seems to vision + :D

DrTelemark said:
I think we all need to complain to DJI about this latest move they have done to try to coerce customers to buy a $100 RC upgrade when a simple $10 lever can actually do the same thing. Feel free to cust and paste this message I sent and fill their customer service inbox with these messages. It makes me think that my next quad/camera setup will be from any manufacturer other than DJI if they are going to intentionally manipulate their firmware to disable features that we all want to make more money.

"I see no reason why DJI cannot enable a choice for users to adjust the gimbal tilt from relative to absolute if they are using a rear lever to control the camera tilt. Version 1.0.0.4 did allow this, while version 1.0.0.6 only allows for relative control. It would be very poor form to try to force customers to upgrade their remote controller by creating unwanted features in new firmware upgrades that cannot be reversed. Give your customers the choice. Creating extra expense for such simple features will drive us away to other products by other manufacturers if you don't take good care of your customer base."

Fact checking - I have this correct I believe. Those of you with engineering degrees, tell me if I'm wrong.

Well to use one of my favorite movie quotes (war games): ..."(strange game) only winning move is not to play".

I am not going to throw more money in the direction of DJI. I'll might look into building a self centering potentiometer into my existing remote (like these: http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/js-932/thumb-joystick-with-select-button/1.html If I decide to pull my P2V out of long term storage...

As I see it, the only cutting edge of DJI is their profit margins. Who in their right mind would pay €99 for a "7" channel DJI Tx, when €122 buys you a FrSky Taranis? Who would pay €109 for a "smart" battery you'll brick next firmware update, when €13 buys you a LiPo battery sensor (of which you only need one) and the subsequent 3S 5200 mAh batteries that can be storage charged, charged with standard LiPo chargers etc, are only €22? Who in their right minds spend €13 on a set of propellers, when propellers that you can actually balance cost as little as €1.51?

You pay A LOT for that "Ready to Fly (away)" feeling!

Examples:
Taranis Tx: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking...elemetry_Radio_System_Mode_2_New_Battery.html
LiPo sensor: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking...With_Smart_Port_1pc_.html?strSearch=frsky lip
LiPo: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking...apacity_3S_5200mAh_Multi_Rotor_Lipo_Pack.html
Propellers: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=54609

Well, I installed my $10 tilt lever on my standard RC transmitter. After calibrating it I found its actually going to be usable with the 1.0.0.6 Zen update - it has a much smoother action than the Vision app tilt control and its not to hard to find the center that holds the position of the camera tilt steady. I did find that with the app tilt control turn on, it does do gross movements of the camera still (by tilting my Iphone) and the tilt lever also still works for fine movement AND the position of the camera on the right bar is accurate so I know how close the camera is to horizontal or vertical.

Yes, I understand the new $100 controller has other features but some of us aren't ready to plop down another $100 for the minimal features of a throttle lock and battery status. Heck I have eneloop batteries that last forever and I can recharge them 2000 times so I don't have to wait until I get a warning that the batteries are low, I can just charge them every month or two for the next 80 years... This is light of the reality that DJI could just create a firmware upgrade that could allow users a simple choice on how to use their tilt tool that they have already.

Thankfully, its working and will be useful despite that lack of an absolute tilt setting.

yes the lever works.
fitted it the other day.

DrTelemark said:
I think we all need to complain to DJI about this latest move they have done to try to coerce customers to buy a $100 RC upgrade when a simple $10 lever can actually do the same thing.

"I see no reason why DJI cannot enable a choice for users to adjust the gimbal tilt from relative to absolute if they are using a rear lever to control the camera tilt. Version 1.0.0.4 did allow this, while version 1.0.0.6 only allows for relative control.

I believe you are wrong, at least partially. They can give you that option but the control experience would be terrible.
A direct control slider, your $10 lever, cannot work as a rate control. For that you need spring action to return it to the center. Let's say you wanted to tilt your camera just 45 degrees. You would have to move the slider just a bit and then return it to the center position, assuming you knew where the center was. There is so little range of motion in that slider that doing any controlled fine movement would be impossible. If you would not return it to center, it would continue to move the gimbal until it reached the end.

In all reality, $100 for a new RC, that also gives you a simulator option and rechargeable batteries is not such a bad deal, especially when it is cheaper than the original one by 25%.

There is another way to look at this. Dji could easily not have supported the tilt slider at all. They don't have to support any mod that we the customers do, and this tilt slider is definitely a mod as it was never offered on this bird. I do agree that they could have done a better job to support it without requiring us to go through hoops, but I think they are busy with their new bird. Evolution has to continue, by definition.

I think we should be contacting them to let them know we are having issues, not so much to complain. It is very obvious DJI released these updates with full testing. DJI reps openly stated that the PV2+ would be supported. It is not our fault to expect what they have promised. I understand that all manufacturers should not, and do not need to continue allowing older products to update for free to get what newer products have when they are release but DJI themselves have handled this poorly. Lack of communication (if you need the new controller or not), buggy firmware/software (by buggy I mean not ready) are the reason for so many people who paid money for their are products unhappy. If DJI would release a blanket statement that they were only having limited support for original PV2+ owners with the old controller I would not be happy but understand that. DJI has also released several versions of the assistant within one week because they know there are issues and that shows lack of testing, hell make it beta and call it a day!!! The bottom line is this release has become a debacle for DJI and simple communication about there intentions (wether we like that or not) would put 99% of this all to rest. I am fine waiting for them to fix things, is that what is going on..... no idea. I would be fine with having to purchase a new $99 controller to move to the next model to get all the functionality, is that what I need to do...... no idea. Do they even know what needs to be fixed because there are issues.... no idea, what are they going to support? Bottom line lack of communication is causing a lot of people to be unhappy and we have no idea if they are aware of the issues or not. By us letting them know the issues (hello beta testers, all mfgs do it) we are actually helping them. Complaining that we want it a certain way, well that I do not necessarily agree with, that is a decision for them to stay profitable which is what they are in business for.

samd012 said:
I understand that all manufacturers should not, and do not need to continue allowing older products to update for free to get what newer products have when they are release[d] ...
Fine. Provide us with an alternative Vision app which allows us to disable the in-app tilt control and enables the already-functional absolute tilt lever on the transmitter. Charge a few bucks for it; I'll pay it. But don't make me decommission a perfectly functional transmitter just to buy a new one for a hundred bucks when that new one has minimal advantages over the one I already have.

Werz said:
samd012 said:
I understand that all manufacturers should not, and do not need to continue allowing older products to update for free to get what newer products have when they are release[d] ...
Fine. Provide us with an alternative Vision app which allows us to disable the in-app tilt control and enables the already-functional absolute tilt lever on the transmitter. Charge a few bucks for it; I'll pay it. But don't make me decommission a perfectly functional transmitter just to buy a new one for a hundred bucks when that new one has minimal advantages over the one I already have.

The only complaints I have is poor communication. Release notes needs to be better and warnings issued for what will happen before you do upgrades.
I have installed 3.06 and all updates except the zen firmware and everything works just fine. I can't use the tilt in the app but that is fine for me since I have a slider potentiometer installed on the side of the controller and it is very smooth. It starts/stops just instant and is perfect for my use.
my 2 cents.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20