Compatible propellers for the Phantom v1.1.1

Reaction score
Hey guys, completely new to this. I've been flying a WLToys v959 for a while and have just bought a Phantom 1.1.1 today! Very excited about playing and learning instead of only read forums and watching youtube videos.

What can I read to catch up on the general understanding of compatible propellers or how to adapt commonly available propellers for the 1.1.1? I've just skimmed the thread about how folks were testing out the Vision 9" self tightening props on the 1.1.1 with some behavior changes but overall longer flight time. Some of my questions right off the bat:

1) Can I use the old Phantom with nuts props, 1.1.1 self tightening and the Vision self tightening props?

2) Which of the non DJI/Phantom props can I use with the 1.1.1? What modifications must I make (if at all) in order to do this?

3) I bought a DuBro prop balancer without realizing that the self tightening props can't have the rod go through it for traditional balancing. What is the current method for balancing these?

4) What are the top props you all use here that has a good performance to price ratio?

Thanks everyone.

FlyingFanta said:
Hey guys, completely new to this. I've been flying a WLToys v959 for a while and have just bought a Phantom 1.1.1 today! Very excited about playing and learning instead of only read forums and watching youtube videos.

What can I read to catch up on the general understanding of compatible propellers or how to adapt commonly available propellers for the 1.1.1? I've just skimmed the thread about how folks were testing out the Vision 9" self tightening props on the 1.1.1 with some behavior changes but overall longer flight time. Some of my questions right off the bat:

1) Can I use the old Phantom with nuts props, 1.1.1 self tightening and the Vision self tightening props?

If you get a set of CW and CCW prop nuts, you can use any Phantom/Vision version prop on a 1.1.1

2) Which of the non DJI/Phantom props can I use with the 1.1.1? What modifications must I make (if at all) in order to do this?

If they are specified to fit any Phantom, they will work with a v1.1.1 provided you get the nuts.

3) I bought a DuBro prop balancer without realizing that the self tightening props can't have the rod go through it for traditional balancing. What is the current method for balancing these?

You can still use a DuBro but you have to use one workaround or another. You can find these on this forum.

4) What are the top props you all use here that has a good performance to price ratio?

From what I have read, and I've read alot, is that either the stock props, or the vision props are the best choice without going to some that cost over $80 if you're in to that. Forget about the cheap carbon fiber sets out there.

Thanks everyone.

Welcome, and Safe flying!

Dave Pitman said:
FlyingFanta said:

If they are specified to fit any Phantom, they will work with a v1.1.1 provided you get the nuts.

From what I have read, and I've read alot, is that either the stock props, or the vision props are the best choice without going to some that cost over $80 if you're in to that. Forget about the cheap carbon fiber sets out there.
Welcome, and Safe flying!

Thanks for sharing Dave.

I see. So the Phantom (1.1.1 or otherwise) don't have threads that are standard to other DJI (non-Phantom) props? Meaning that there aren't some specs that I can follow for them to work on the Phantom? How about "APC" blades? Is it worthwhile to get APC adapter to use better/cheaper blades out there?

Interesting about the the stock props and Vision ones being the preferred ones here without going to the $80 extremes. On that note, do people prefer the self tightening non-vision props over the older ones with the nuts?

Alos, why are the cheap carbon ones so bad? If they're balanced, is it worth it then?

FlyingFanta said:
Thanks for sharing Dave.

I see. So the Phantom (1.1.1 or otherwise) don't have threads that are standard to other DJI (non-Phantom) props? Meaning that there aren't some specs that I can follow for them to work on the Phantom? How about "APC" blades? Is it worthwhile to get APC adapter to use better/cheaper blades out there?

Interesting about the the stock props and Vision ones being the preferred ones here without going to the $80 extremes. On that note, do people prefer the self tightening non-vision props over the older ones with the nuts?

Alos, why are the cheap carbon ones so bad? If they're balanced, is it worth it then?

The inclusive threading on the props is new to the Phantom and DJI. They are not compatible with other dji motors (and earlier Phantoms) because the other motors are all CW threading. Will future dji motors all be CW and CCW threaded, I don't know.

Edit: I looks like this is the direction they are going. http://www.dji.com/dji-released-the-tun ... -and-e600/

You can probably use other manufacturer props that fit an 8mm diameter (I think) motor shaft.

My conclusion about the stock, and vision props being the most popular is because many have already gone down the road you are starting with ordering many different props available, only to return to the stock props. By all means tinker with this yourself, but don't be surprised that dji seems to have gotten it right. There are clones of these props on ebay that are really reasonable. And that will probably only get better.

justsomeguy said:
What experience do you base this claim upon?

I've had good luck with cheap carbon fiber props (other than the inherent characteristic of all carbon props, they're more brittle).

If the OP is looking for Vision clones that do not require changing two motors to the reverse threaded model, he might want to check out the carbon Vision clones that were recently released:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261340030834

He has a v 1.1.1 so he can use the vision props, or the vision clone props without any motor change.

I was just relating that I have heard from numerous guys that they tried a bunch of different props and ended up back at the beginning. The OP can order whatever he wants, perhaps the ones you listed.

I'll likely tinker at some point. But for now, I want to be smart about it and leverage the experience the rest of you have built over the last year. Until then I'll keep asking questions and reading your posts!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr