Compass wont calibrate

Reaction score
Hio everyone, I've been having a great time with my DJI Vision just doing some basics before I push myself into the backcountry with it. Just yesterday, however, I attempted to calibrate the compass multiple multiple times (flipping switch rapidly back and forth) I tried it ten times, twenty times, 6 times, i tried it fast, slow, slowly fast... And still couldn't get the vision to even enter the calibration mode. Any PV Gurus on here able to lend a hand? or Anyone elses machine refusing to enter calibration mode.

P.S. I am up to date.

Everything off.
Remove all electronics, phones, etc. from the area around the P2V
Both switches Up on the RC Transmitter
RC Transmitter On
P2V On,
allow GPS lock (probably)
flip S1 (switch on RIGHT side) full Down, then back full Up ... cycle 10 times over about 10 seconds

Does that work?

whitewatersalvo said:
Hio everyone, I've been having a great time with my DJI Vision just doing some basics before I push myself into the backcountry with it. Just yesterday, however, I attempted to calibrate the compass multiple multiple times (flipping switch rapidly back and forth) I tried it ten times, twenty times, 6 times, i tried it fast, slow, slowly fast... And still couldn't get the vision to even enter the calibration mode. Any PV Gurus on here able to lend a hand? or Anyone elses machine refusing to enter calibration mode.

P.S. I am up to date.

S1 is on the right side. I made the mistake of assuming it would be on the left. Could that be the problem?

S2 switch flicking activates a new Home Point if you have IOC enabled. S1 switch flicking starts calibration mode.

S2 toggling to set a new Home location:
1. Works in Vision mode, where there is no IOC available, right?
2. Works in Naza mode, even when the S2 IOC functions are enabled?

When the new Home location is set, what altitude is set?

1. Yes (I believe, NAZA mode flyer here, but that's my understanding from the DJI documentation);
2. Yes.

Your altitude question is interesting, I don't know. It isn't a problem for RTH though, if that's a concern - the Vision will keep on going down until it registers hitting the ground and remaining stationary, it's not referencing a barometric height. You can tell this by the way you sometimes get a bounce and skip at the end of an RTH landing - it's not relying on the baro telling it "you've arrived, cut the power". It might reset the base height for the initial RTH climb to 20 metres above launch, though. I can't think of a scenario when that would be dangerous/detrimental though - anyone else?

hi, not sure about the vision , but i have a p2. I had the exact same problem tried everything and it still would not enter calibration mode, in the p2 manual is says flick the s1 switch at least 5 times, this is incorrect, you have to flick the switch exactly 5 times, also you have to stop and wait a split second before the phantom reacts then shows the steady yellow led. the whole flicking process should last about 2,5 to 3 seconds, try it i bet it works :)

Pull_Up said:
Your altitude question is interesting, I don't know. It isn't a problem for RTH though, if that's a concern - the Vision will keep on going down until it registers hitting the ground and remaining stationary, it's not referencing a barometric height. You can tell this by the way you sometimes get a bounce and skip at the end of an RTH landing - it's not relying on the baro telling it "you've arrived, cut the power". It might reset the base height for the initial RTH climb to 20 metres above launch, though. I can't think of a scenario when that would be dangerous/detrimental though - anyone else?

Does not reset altitude. On a different note, the vision does not take into consideration the fact that it can no longer descend. There is some number of feet that it will default to "close enough". I know that number is in fact less than 10 feet. For example, I did RTH and for some reason the Vision thought it was still at 11 feet when in fact it was on the ground. It kept bouncing harder and harder (trying to drive itself into the ground) until I finally took control and landed myself. Based on the increasing violence of the bounces, I do believe it would smash itself apart (It ripped two of the black pads of the bottom of the skids.)

But that's counter-intuitive. If resetting home doesn't reset altitude, but your new home is set whilst hovering 20ft above ground at the base of the 200ft hill where your take-of point was are you saying in a RTH it will climb to 60ft above take-off point (260ft), then descend until about 200ft +/- 10 ft above the new home location and then after a while decide it's down and cut motors?!

My Vision has never done anything but one or two gentle bounces at the end of a RTH sequence, even if the height reading wasn't set to zero on take-off, hence leading to my belief it's more of a controlled descent until the gyros tell it your down. Be good to have a definitive answer as to what the RTH descent algorithm actually looks at. I'll see if I can find anything substantive.

i also dont think it uses the barometer for the decent on RTH, i think thats why the decent is very slow and gentle, it probably then works on a timer, phantom hasent descended for 3 seconds for example, then cuts motors. It would be interesting to know what borometric reading it uses for the climb out and return phase though.

Just got an answer from my dealer who's a tier one DJI dealer in the UK.

Resetting home does not reset altitude. RTH is an autoland system that doesn't reference any height info. It uses gyro and motor loading to detect touchdown, so will keep doing its thing until it hits dirt.

Your experience with it trying to keep going may imply an IMU calibration would be useful, unless it was just a one-off "one of those things".

interesting stuff , going to have to be carefull about changes in terrain when manually setting a home point, although i suppose you shouldnt be walking too far in the time it takes for a battery to expire.

The main value in resetting altitude would be in "setting" a new fly-home altitude,
higher than the default of 20 meters higher than the original Home elevation.

Going up to 30 meters, resetting Home (possibly right over the same Location) could
make the minimum fly-back altitude 50 meters instead of 20 meters (above the
original home).

Without resetting the altitude, one must be careful to not set the new home
on (or over) a hill 20 m higher than the original home, or the P2V could fly back
(from working at the base of the hill) and crash into the side of the hill
at full speed.

Not a good choice, IMO.

totally agree , its a handy feature if you are walking along the beach for example, where you are constantly at sea level, not sure why they cant do a firmware update to change the fly back altitude anyway, for me 20 m is a bit low and takes carefull planning 40 m is a much better altitude, unless its because the cut off point for battery level would have to be raised for auto land

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4