Compass waterproof?

Reaction score
I will be flying quite a bit over water with my P2V+ and will make some sort of float system. Ideally, I'd like to land on the water, since I'm not sure landing on my boat will be doable, or very safe if there are several people on board. Is the compass waterproof, and if not, is there a way to make it waterproof?

dannytroy said:
I will be flying quite a bit over water with my P2V+ and will make some sort of float system. Ideally, I'd like to land on the water, since I'm not sure landing on my boat will be doable, or very safe if there are several people on board. Is the compass waterproof, and if not, is there a way to make it waterproof?
Try to get it liquipelled^^

My phantom spent about 30 minutes in a lake. Fully submerged. It still flies. Most electronics are hermetically sealed and can take water...to a point. The bigger concern is the plug-in connectors. They will get wet making the contacts susceptible to tarnish and/or rust. When cleaning mine up I paid special attention to all the connectors. The compass has a connector right on it. I would be more concerned about that than the sensor.

Geo

PixelNinja said:
The compass will be fine. A better solution is just to hand catch if you can't land it on a flat surface on the boat.

I gadda agree on this one... The plus is so **** top heavy... so whatever you design for a water landing is either going to be huge and heavy... or huge and aerodynamically bad news for flying...

Just hover in close to the boat... Grab a landing leg with right hand... power down with left...

Practice it a few times before you go out... you'll wonder why you never thought of it in the first place.

dannytroy said:
Even if you coat the compass with something to make it waterproof, you can still have problems. Water trapped between the compass and landing strut can throw the compass off.
I have tried several different float designs. I was able to land and take off from water but I would not recommend it. It is very risky. I only tried it to see if it was possible. My purpose for floats was to keep the Phantom from sinking in case of an accidendal crash into water.
The problems you will find with any float system on the Phantom is that the volume of material required for the floats will be hard to keep out of the camera view and will be pushed around by wind and prop wash making smooth video very difficult.
Landing and taking off from water:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2891

The Blade 350 has landing gear similar to the Phantom. I cut up some pool noodles and used them as floats on the legs. Never had any impact on flight characteristics. Might try something similar with my Vision+.

There is a video on youtube where someone used the swimmimg floaty things(3 inches round and 3 feet long) they cut those into about 2, 6 inch peaces and used a knife to slot them so they would fit onto the landing gear and then used wire ties to secure them. They allowed them to land in water very nicely.

electron6 said:
There is a video on youtube where someone used the swimmimg floaty things(3 inches round and 3 feet long) they cut those into about 2, 6 inch peaces and used a knife to slot them so they would fit onto the landing gear and then used wire ties to secure them. They allowed them to land in water very nicely.
Been there and done that. The pool noodles have to be pretty long to float the Phantom reliably. They show up in the video and cause the bird to get pushed around in the wind. They also are in the way of the prop wash which affects handling and flight time.
Try if you like. it's a cheap test. Hope you have better luck with it than I did.

Geoelectro said:
My phantom spent about 30 minutes in a lake. Fully submerged. It still flies. Most electronics are hermetically sealed and can take water...to a point. The bigger concern is the plug-in connectors. They will get wet making the contacts susceptible to tarnish and/or rust. When cleaning mine up I paid special attention to all the connectors. The compass has a connector right on it. I would be more concerned about that than the sensor.

Geo

Hi

please confirm if your phantom is stock meaning its not treated any water repellant?

if yes, wow that good to hear! phantom is safe on emergency water crash!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik