Compass Lock issues with P3S

Reaction score
Love the forum, thanks to all. I'm a new pilot and have found the discussions very helpful. I also love the DJI product overall. But I'm having trouble with my compass and it's making me afraid to be too adventurous with the P3.

Today, I flew on the beach in Florida. Calibrated the compass first thing, took off and did a very small test run - flew about 50 meters and got some nice sunrise shots. I landed it manually and when I tried to take off again, it showed a "compass locked" error and wouldn't let me take off again.

Can anyone tell me what I can do to avoid compass errors or should I send it to DJI for repairs?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I had this problem for the first time yesterday. Maybe it just is a problem for Stus?
Just kidding, I found other threads in this forum with folks having the same issue and no one seems to have a definitive answer. DJI chat was not helpful either. They told to me calibrate everything again and if the error keeps coming up to send it in. They did not seem to have any idea what the error is or what would cause it.
For me its a choice between sending back to DJI for repair or returning to the vendor(I have 10 days left for that option).
All thought after 3 restarts the standard fired up and flew with no apparent issues I'm not confident this won't happen in the air.

Reactions: StuDog
Well I called DJI today and the tech told me that they are having a lot of these issues and they are pushing a new firmware this week that should correct it. She insisted that they are rolling out 1.8.10.

Anyone else hear about a new firmware update?

Reactions: StuDog
We have heard the rumors about a FW update. As of today, nobody has it. There is a new DJI Go version for iOS.

@StuDog, @Stuh2o

Welcome to the Forum!

What firmware is currently installed on Phantom.

Rod

Well, I updated as prompted when I first set up the ac on November 28th but my app says unknown firmware when I checked yesterday.
DJI says this is due to server reconfiguration and will be fixed soon.

Well, I updated as prompted when I first set up the ac on November 28th but my app says unknown firmware when I checked yesterday.
DJI says this is due to server reconfiguration and will be fixed soon.
Yeah they've been saying that for a while now.

Ha, I know. A quick search of the DJI forum revealed that.
I think what they mean by "server reconfiguration" is "We underestimated all the extra load all the newly registered drones would cause the servers, so we're trying to add extra capacity."

I am concerned that no one at DJI seems to know what causes the "compass locked" error. At least no one I have talked to. It may be a hardware issue (DJI chat) or a firmware issue(DJI phone support) or just a false alarm(DJI rep on DJI forum). I should send it in or wait for the firmware update or just ignore it and deal with it if ever comes up again.

I going to fly again this weekend to see if any issues pop up. If any do I think I will return it to the vendor while I still can.

So you can still fly?
Have you guys opened IMU screen, and looked at the compass values?

Rod

Yeah, after 3 restarts the ac took off with out the error and seemed to perform fine. Healthy Drones showed no compass errors during the flight. I have not been able to get out since then.

I have not checked the IMU screen for compass values but I will today as soon as i get home. What should they be?

Yeah, after 3 restarts the ac took off with out the error and seemed to perform fine. Healthy Drones showed no compass errors during the flight. I have not been able to get out since then.

I have not checked the IMU screen for compass values but I will today as soon as i get home. What should they be?

There is some of that in this link.
Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer

Rod

I will do that when I get home as well. Thanks for your help!
BTW, I am not trying to sound negative about DJI. I know they are overwhelmed right now with new users and I am part of that problem.
The craft itself is an engineering marvel that goes well beyond my comprehension. How so many systems can work together to keep it in the air is amazing to me. So even if i return this one it won't be my last. In fact, I doubt I make it six months without a significant upgrade.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20