Compass location

Reaction score
Just buttoned up my 1.1.1 after yet another tear down. Did an internal install of an iOSD and ImmersionRC 600, with a PnP cable to tie it all together. Wanting to clean things up a bit inside I relocated the compass the opposite leg from stock, still on the rear along with the gimbal control cables. I also moved one of the receiver antenna to the open "leg hole" at the front.

Heading out side I did the usual compass recalibration dance and seemed all ahead go. The first few runs seemed just fine, but after my 3rd battery pack I started to loose control of the P1. As I would attempt to correct its flight things would get worse, causing me to over correct even more till I just had to bring it down.

My question is, is the location of the compass a required location on the specific leg it comes out of the box, or can I move it around so long as I get a good recalibration?? What about the receiver antenna, can they be moved around, so long as they hang through the body, into the legs a similar length??

If need be Both are an easy fix, just have to open back up and gently feed the cables.

I had the same question yesterday. In the few articles that I read, concensus seems to be that the compass should be on the back left when looking from the front of the bird. To be honest, I've flown once with the compass on a completely different leg and it felt fine. It's windy here in this time of year so keepIng it steady can be challenging at times.

Just buttoned up my 1.1.1 after yet another tear down. Did an internal install of an iOSD and ImmersionRC 600, with a PnP cable to tie it all together. Wanting to clean things up a bit inside I relocated the compass the opposite leg from stock, still on the rear along with the gimbal control cables. I also moved one of the receiver antenna to the open "leg hole" at the front.

Heading out side I did the usual compass recalibration dance and seemed all ahead go. The first few runs seemed just fine, but after my 3rd battery pack I started to loose control of the P1. As I would attempt to correct its flight things would get worse, causing me to over correct even more till I just had to bring it down.

My question is, is the location of the compass a required location on the specific leg it comes out of the box, or can I move it around so long as I get a good recalibration?? What about the receiver antenna, can they be moved around, so long as they hang through the body, into the legs a similar length??

If need be Both are an easy fix, just have to open back up and gently feed the cables.

Maybe you're not giving things time to cool off? The motors? The GPS? Just suggestions.
Seems if the way you had the compass mounted was a problem it would be so from the first battery. Only difference I can think of is heat. What happens if you allow 10 minutes for everything to cool down before the next flight?

What do you mean by "similar length"?

I think it's possible that moving things around so that the antenna is not fully out as far as the design puts it "could" cause a problem.

But bet no cheese on that.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr