Compass issue after changing landing skids

Reaction score
I just replaced the landing skids on my phantom 3 with some cool looking extra high black ones. I pried out the compass with a small flathead out of the landing skis. I didn't physically break anything.

I then put on the new skids and installed the compass.

It asks me to recalibrate the compass which I do and it senses the movements of the turning but when it complete it says here the message "Intensive electromagnetic interference nearby, please make sure no magnets or metal objects are near the compass and keep the aircraft above 1 meter off the ground to do recalibration."

I've tried in several locations all over and the error stays. It had no problems calibrating before I changed the skids.

What can I do to fix this?

I just replaced the landing skids on my phantom 3 with some cool looking extra high black ones. I pried out the compass with a small flathead out of the landing skis. I didn't physically break anything.

I then put on the new skids and installed the compass.

It asks me to recalibrate the compass which I do and it senses the movements of the turning but when it complete it says here the message "Intensive electromagnetic interference nearby, please make sure no magnets or metal objects are near the compass and keep the aircraft above 1 meter off the ground to do recalibration."

I've tried in several locations all over and the error stays. It had no problems calibrating before I changed the skids.

What can I do to fix this?
What material are the skids made of-- post a shot of the P3 with the skids

They are plastic. Attached is the pic from the site that I bought it from.

Attachments

• 1446320973156.jpg
    1446320973156.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 511
They are plastic. Attached is the pic from the site that I bought it from.
I would suggest rechecking the connections on the board under the VPS unit just to make sure one of them did not become detached when you had the other legs on-- I like those extensions-- can you give me a link to the vendor?

Their called Mudder Tall landing gear. I bought it from Amazon. What is the vps unit? Do you mean the board inside the phantom 3 shell?

Remove all metal objects from your person?

Earlier models of the magnetometer (P2) could become gauss-ed or magnetized and commonly occurred as a result of tools used to remove/replace it. Some other extreme cases were a result of transport in car trunk near speakers.

Not sure if this is an issue with the P3 type or not. There are vids on YT on how to correct this.

I had the same thing happen. The lead to the main board was unplugged. Just pop the top and look. It is clearly marked compass where it plugs in

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20