compass heading vs aircraft heading using Flytrex + CAN-BUS

Reaction score
Installed a Flytrex + CAN bus the other day and went out flying. I can't quite figure out what compass heading (the direction the red paper airplane graphic is pointing) is actually showing me. The aircraft heading (outer circle around the red paper airplane) is obvious and accurately depicts which direction my bird is pointing, but the compass heading is not intuitive to me. Can someone hold my hand through this example? Bird sits on the ground facing due south, records home point. Take off and fly out 20 ft still heading south, stop, hover and rotate 180 deg. The bird is now facing me, so where should the compass heading be pointing? Probably a ridiculous question, but for some reason I couldn't identify a consistent behavior when I was flying. Thanks :?

Re: Question re compass heading vs aircraft heading

bbfpv said:
Installed a Flytrex + CAN bus the other day and went out flying. I can't quite figure out what compass heading (the direction the red paper airplane graphic is pointing) is actually showing me. The aircraft heading (outer circle around the red paper airplane) is obvious and accurately depicts which direction my bird is pointing, but the compass heading is not intuitive to me. Can someone hold my hand through this example? Bird sits on the ground facing due south, records home point. Take off and fly out 20 ft still heading south, stop, hover and rotate 180 deg. The bird is now facing me, so where should the compass heading be pointing? Probably a ridiculous question, but for some reason I couldn't identify a consistent behavior when I was flying. Thanks :?

I never pay any attention to stuff like that because developers use different settings. One has the quad always pointing north, the other has the controller point north, then who knows what. That feature is good when you are out of line of sight and especially if you lost wifi connection. I don't know how they have it working now, but DJI use to have home point in the center of the circle and the quad would appear in the direction it was from you regardless the direction you would be pointing. Say you were facing west and the quad appeared at the 3 o'clock position. That would tell you the quad was to the right of you and if you turned that direction the quad would then appear at the 12 o'clock position. You could then walk in that direction and the quad would appear closer to the center of the circle as you walk in that direction.

thanks Frank. Yeah this mostly pertains to no LOS no wifi when I have to flip to the Flytrex app the get my bearings again. More out of curiosity since aircraft heading is enough to figure out which direction it's facing... was just curious how compass heading is supposed to work since it seems kind of all over the place.

bbfpv said:
thanks Frank. Yeah this mostly pertains to no LOS no wifi when I have to flip to the Flytrex app the get my bearings again. More out of curiosity since aircraft heading is enough to figure out which direction it's facing... was just curious how compass heading is supposed to work since it seems kind of all over the place.

If the numbers are all over the place it's likely due to the software calculator/converter not having the correct formula entered on setup. You should bring it up with the developer of that software to get it dialed in.

flyNfrank said:
bbfpv said:

If the numbers are all over the place it's likely due to the software calculator/converter not having the correct formula entered on setup. You should bring it up with the developer of that software to get it dialed in.

For some reason I thought you also had a Flytrex + CAN Bus setup.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl