Compass Errors _ All flights _ calibrated many times?

Sorry for the mixup. I tried calibrating the IMU and compass several times (cold IMU, compass on a field out in nowhere etc). After scanning the net I found it might be an idea to replace the compass module. I ordered one. But I decided to return the P3 instead. I purchased a new P3P which is still behaving OK. Seems like there is another guy having the same issue here, and it also looks like a compass module in mentioned in the thread.. Hmmmmm can't get the URL to stick.. It's some entries below in theis area of the forum with the following subject: Still Can't Get The Compass To Calibrate??????????

Well darn....I thought we might learn something new today about compass modules. The 1.6 firmware you mentioned earlier is a decent version to stay with. It's solid in the way that it has the battery firmware that will keep it from dropping out of the sky once the volts go below their set limit. I run version 1.4 and have to monitor the volts while in flight.

That makes me feel much better about the situation. I was looking through the file and it kept coming up to me how long of a flight you flew with your aircraft spitting out warnings. Now that you cleared that up is helpful.

One thing that stands out to me so far is it shows you flew the majority of this flight in F-mode. I haven't checked yet if you took the time to establish Home Point before lift off or not. Still looking it over each chance I get.

Jeff.O, I'm going to stay with your issue being related to flying in Fmode when you should be in Pmode. Most of the worse behavior in the flight was while it was over your head. Any time you get an error, ststop the flight and get it to home point or land it where it is at! Take the warnings serious.

You must have Home Point recorded before you launch! If you change to a new location, then Calibrate the Compass. Try not using AutoLift or whatever it's called. If the pilot doesn't have everything as it should be, the AutoLift seems to create unwanted issues. It's better to just manually launch the aircraft.

Reactions: Jeff.O
Thanks for looking for me!! I was having some errors over the ocean? And over a marsh.. it flew away..

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
flew away?!?! Do you mean gone? You don't have it anymore?

I had no idea that f mode was not good to stay in.. thank you. No it flew erratically away from me very tilted but I regained control. These errors happen every flight I would say in the last 30 flights I got errors 20 times. I never use auto take off...

@Jeff.O sorry I had to go off to video the neighbor's concrete pour. What I was going to say is that for FLY113.DAT I don't see any reason for the mid-flight compass errors. I was going to suggest you choose between two alternatives.

1. The P3 has algorithms for deciding if there is a compass error. Doing a good job of detecting all compass errors necessarily means that there will be false positives. It seems to me that with some firmware updates the compass error detection has gotten more sensitive leading to more false positives. In my personal flying I've encountered unexplained compass errors and ignored them.

2. Too many unexplained compass errors is an indication that something is wrong and you should send it to DJI for repair.

I was leaning towards the first alternative because only FLY113 showed an unexplained compass error. But, in light of your more recent compass error incidents maybe alternative 2 is the way to go.

Being in F mode did not cause the incident in FLY113. If F mode increased the probability of compass errors then the missions requiring F mode (POI, FollowMe, etc) would not be possible. In FLY113 the most severe compass error started while not in F mode.

The home point was set to -74.1126022, 40.5509377

Sorry for the mixup. I tried calibrating the IMU and compass several times (cold IMU, compass on a field out in nowhere etc). After scanning the net I found it might be an idea to replace the compass module. I ordered one. But I decided to return the P3 instead. I purchased a new P3P which is still behaving OK. Seems like there is another guy having the same issue here, and it also looks like a compass module in mentioned in the thread.. Hmmmmm can't get the URL to stick.. It's some entries below in theis area of the forum with the following subject: Still Can't Get The Compass To Calibrate??????????

From what I have read the P3A and P3P are the same other than the camera and firmware.

It does show a Home Point being recorded. In my last post I only mentioned the importance rather then saying it was forgotten.

Fmode, just like the other flight modes, has it's own characteristics. As @BudWalker mentioned, it has been programmed to host "Intelligent Flight Modes" feature. Course Lock, Home Lock, Point of Interest, Follow Me, and Way Points. Each of these has a set of requirements that are different from the other.

If the P3's flight becomes corrupt, if in Fmode to begin with should this happen could get ugly as it did your case. There was points in which the AirCraft (A/C) was rocking forward and back, also tilting side to side, and doing so at 10ths of seconds as it tried maintaining altitude. I bet it looked rather nasty from your view when it was taking place.

Anyway, the P3 doesn't have a force into Pmode and be safe option that I know of. If the A/C was in Pmode and had issues it would not have as much going to focus on normal flight commands.

I would consider trying a different GO app version. And then calibrate everything including the R/C Sticks and gimbal thumb wheel.

Ok I went back out today at a new location..recalibrate..no F only p mode had to land 3 different times recalibrating each time because of a compass error.. there was also a slow spin? Not a huge amount but it does not stay stable (yaw- rudder) I really can't figure it out I do the dance..the spin.. everything. I'm flying in over an ocean/marsh. I will try to upload these because they were much shorter flights.

I'm not an expert..but I would return it. No way this should be happening. Are you taking off all metal objects when you calibrate? Are you calibrating in an area that is clear of metal.. at least 50 feet away from your vehicle? If you are I would send it back.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I have the "insurance" on it but I don't know the best way to go about it. I mean it's every flight doesn't matter what I do. I have done IMU but not a cold one? I just want it to work the way it should lol

Jeff, I had a similar problem with my P3A, getting compass error messages often in almost every flight. After having tried all possible calibrations, I wrote to DJI's technical support through their website, and after a couple of email exchanges explaining the issue, they advised me to return it to their service center for warranty inspection. They replaced the main control board, and shipped it back to me.

I suggest you contact DJI, specially if you bought the care package.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Jeff.O
I'm into mu 6:th flight with my replaced Phantom. No compass errors (yet) So you do right returning it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic