Compass error?

Reaction score
So today I was flying around minding my business about maybe 400 feet away with my p3s and then camera goes sideways..... First thought- freaking fly away gosh darn it. Then I see the drone returning home to my relief. But I kept getting compass errors that I had never gotten before. Stupidly I was standing behind a light pole for shade and we have telephone wires in our backyard. However I have been flying in this same spot and never gotten this problem?!? Is it because I had a belt with a metal buckle when I calibrated the darn thing. Any advice so I don't get a fly away?

Welcome to the Compass Error Club or CEC, my friend. I'm not even lucky to try my 3rd flight. 2nd flight landed with compass error. There are sooo many posts on this topic with no solutions. Re calibrating, IMU calibrating just doesn't work. DJI has to get on this one to recall the Phantoms.

I actually seemed to fix it through my numerous trial and error. And calibrating everything and trying new spots to calibrate and I found once you calibrate you really don't to do it again until you see error. And since I haven't. Next time you calibrate your drone go to an open field and put down your controller keys and any metal you are carrying out it out the bird 10 feet away. Go back to your controller start the process walk back to the drone still with nothing in hand or pocket and go very slowly and make sure you are as level as possible.

Then go home find the flatters spot whether it's your floor table sidewalk whatever and calibrate imu. Then gimbal. Then controller. And that should help

Lots of people did the re calibrating dance and reported the problem re occurred in no time. Did you have luck with that process? Please keep us informed if that's not the case. Good luck anyway. I'm not doing that based on so many posts.

So today I was flying around minding my business about maybe 400 feet away with my p3s and then camera goes sideways..... First thought- freaking fly away gosh darn it. Then I see the drone returning home to my relief. But I kept getting compass errors that I had never gotten before. Stupidly I was standing behind a light pole for shade and we have telephone wires in our backyard. However I have been flying in this same spot and never gotten this problem?!? Is it because I had a belt with a metal buckle when I calibrated the darn thing. Any advice so I don't get a fly away?
Same problem. First and second flight it went sideways. Log says "Yaw Error". Sent email to dji support today and I'm waiting to see what they say.

Ed

The only danger from telephone lines is if you fly into them.

Had same issue once updated to 1.6.80. Did all calibrations multiple times and places. Dji told me to send it in. However I tried downgrading back to 1.5.7. So far so good. Two flights were good in a location where in would happen. Today I flew at a board walk and did the dance but I got an error due to the dock is mostly held together by metal so I did get a compass error during that flight. I'm gonna scratch that as a good test. Will update

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Lots of people did the re calibrating dance and reported the problem re occurred in no time. Did you have luck with that process? Please keep us informed if that's not the case. Good luck anyway. I'm not doing that based on so many posts.
Today I flew at a board walk and did the dance but I got an error due to the dock is mostly held together by metal so I did get a compass error during that flight. I'm gonna scratch that as a good test. Will update

A lot of the compass problems mentioned here are due to confusion and poor practices.
Compass errors usually aren't a fault in the compass.
It usually is the result of a perfectly functioning compass telling you that there is a problem with the magnetic environment surrounding it.
You need to ensure you get a good compass calibration well away from anything steel or electrical cables.
Don't calibrate anywhere near cars, structural steel, buried pipes or cables and most of all, nowhere near reinforced concrete.
Once you get a good compass calibration, don't mess with it and never launch from steel or reinforced concrete.

Update: with the down graded software I thought it was good but errors returned.
Did IMU and rest of calibrations it an open field (with a level no metal on or near me. My other p3s has no errors… has any one had a compass replaced under warranty and actually being faulty?

Every flight I get an error at some point, sometimes I can GPS lock return home, others I manually return.

Yeah I have no issues orienting in ATTI mode. The problem becomes when I do long range flights and I lose video signal and let's say the compass error happens At the same time. Now I have no way to orientate and RTH is a no go. Bye bye drone…

in that case your best bet is to climb altitude and hit reverse on your controls, hopefully she will get a visual video relay and you can start to fly back

I sent it in today. It's not the software because I fly my first p3s at the same spot on the same and calibrate at the same place. Flying on the same software. And my first unit actually never threw the satellite positioning off error. So it's ether the compass on the landing leg or what ever it attaches to processing the data.

Last edited:
Reactions: whoreable
UPDATE:

New phantom advanced arrived, calibrated in same area as my first p3a. Perfect flight, no gps loss even when turning around fast, that usually causes it on my one month old phantom.

Firmware on new phantom requires update, but im scared it will cause a Compass Error like my previous phantom.

Nice yeah I'll update once my p3s comes back

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj