Compass error

Reaction score
Apologies in advance for new post on this, but I need some serious help with this issue. I picked up my P3A about 6 months ago. From the beginning I would receive random compass errors that would last about 10 seconds, then self-correct. At first the problem freaked me out because the bird would start drifting and I had to take manual control. I have done the compass calibrations numerous times according to all of the recommendations. Over time I learned to deal with the problem and started just overlooking it and accepting the problem as a way of life. Looking back on the problem, I realize that it has probably happened 15 or more times.

Is there any value in examining the flight data to troubleshoot this? What else can I do? I have recently realized that I am always worried about the compass error. The bird was brand new, fresh out of the box when I bought it. I have come to a realization that I should not have to worry about this issue, considering the $$ that I spent.

Thanks

Compass warnings you need to worry about. Besides major battery issues they are a very close 2nd on the "worst Phantom malfunctions" list. The compass tells the Phantom which way it's heading.

Find a very level surface and do a IMU calibration then immediate Gimbal calibration. Then take the Phantom to a field and do a compass calibration (away from asphalt, metal objects). I usually empty my pockets, take my watch and belt off etc. if you don't know how to do any of those things I'd search on YouTube.

Also to decrease the amount of time you get the "warming up" message in the Go App (it can be several minutes) take the SD card out of the Phantom and put the Phantom in the fridge for 15min before you do the level IMU then compass calibration.

So...

Fridge 15min --> Immediately to level surface --> IMU calib --> Gimbal calib --> Next time you fly go to field and Compass calib.

Reactions: Nightcast
If there is a pattern of getting compass error at a particular place or at a time, you can definitely avoid such events.

Who knows you have bad compass? Check if you can get it changed. Talk to dji service. I'm sure some solution will work out.

If I had this kind of issue, I would not have gone out to fly it as it's a risk of losing it and it may fly away and hit someone.

I have done the compass calibrations numerous times according to all of the recommendations.
How often are you recalibrating the compass?
Very often bad calibrations (doing it in a bad location) are the cause of compass errors in flight.
Despite whatever recommendations you may have heard, it is a much safer practice to get a good compass calibration and just leave it alone after that.
Unnecessary recalibrations of a perfectly good compass are a potential hazard.

@Ergoadams take into account all what's being said above, these are truly good advices, but if the issue persists after proceeding as recommended, for the sake of your aircraft, you should afford 12-15 $ and buy a new landing gear that contains too the compass. In the worse case, if this will not solve your issue, for the payed price you will at least find it's something else than the compass.

Phantom751874, I followed your instructions precisely. Flew two days ago and had three Compass errors. Any other suggestions?

To answer some of the other recent replies: I understand the risks of flying with compass errors. That is why I am desperately trying to fix them. How else can I know if the errors are fixed without flying? These errors have been happening for 8 months, beginning with removing it from the factory sealed box. I have done all of the proper calibrations according to all recommendations, including proper compass calibration.

If you're confident that you've done the compass cal correctly and that there is nothing around your takeoff location, it would appear that you have a bad compass. It would be interesting to see if another bird had the same problems in that area. Are you still under warranty? Sounds like a problem for DJI to fix.

Frank at Carolina Dronz is currently diagnosing the problem. Will post when solution is found.

keep us updated. I've had DJI warranty replacement for a bad compass so it may have zero to do with you and the calibration.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31