Compass Error - new iPad and trackimo 100

Reaction score
I've never had a compass error, 30 flights or so. I have a new iPad mini 2 + cellular and a trackimo 100 I just added. I was flying in a farm field, not near any metal and pockets empty. I was about 4000' out when I got a compass error. (Showed 1490-1510) I was able to fly it back but when I was 15' feet away it was still flipping back and forth between compass error and GPS. When I had a mini 2 wifi I flew on airplane mode. Now I fly Cellular data only. Any idea of the issues? Checking out healthy drones now.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442528580.663202.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442528598.010104.jpg

Confused how it was showing compass error then looking at healthydrones everything seems to be fine.

I don't know much about the Trackimo, but it may be possible to cause some interference with the Phantom being an electronic device. I would try to repeat the flight without the Trackimo and see what happens. Maybe do a compass calibration before you take off?

Reactions: brianb87
where on the bird do you have the trackimo mounted? Keep mine attached to the landing gear as to avoid interference

Took off the trackimo and the mod went from 1570 to 1500-1530.. Still a little high?

The compass is in the base of the landing gear.
Rear, starboard side.
Mounting as far away as possible is recommended.
Anything steel or having a magnetic field mounted close will have an effect.
How far from the compass is the item?
Have you recalibrated the compass after fitting it?

Reactions: MADrone
Is it possible the tracker damaged my compass?
My last 25 flights or so were with trackimo mounted on the landing gear and I have not had any compass errors. My trackimo is mounted rear, port (left) side.

Last edited:
Maybe it's my iPad mini 2 + cellular then (which I use data) ? What setting should I run it on? My wifi iPad mini 2 I run on airplane mode.

The compass is in the base of the landing gear.
Rear, starboard side.
Mounting as far away as possible is recommended.
Anything steel or having a magnetic field mounted close will have an effect.
How far from the compass is the item?
Have you recalibrated the compass after fitting it?

I removed the tracker, it was on the left side (looking into the camera) towards the back with two zip ties

There's the problem ... it was right on the compass.
Put it on the other side, recalibrate the compass then go and have fun flying.

I edited my post(had starboard and port confused) Left side, looking at the camera. Is a compass mod value of 1500-1530 normal? I checked and it said I did not have to calibrate

You have to calibrate any time you change the configuration of your Phantom ... like adding a small electronic device.
The Phantom will only advise when it detects a big change but not necessarily for small things.

You have to calibrate any time you change the configuration of your Phantom ... like adding a small electronic device.
The Phantom will only advise when it detects a big change but not necessarily for small things.

Ohh ok thanks Meta! So if I am looking at the cam the tracker should be on the right or left side, just to be clear?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj