Compass error in Verge P4 Test

Reaction score
Did anyone else notice the compass error @ exactly 4:11 in the one of the Verge Phantom 4 review videos?

It quickly flashed up on screen when they were flying over the building testing the obstacle avoidance. Bearing in mind the P4 has dual IMU's, I found it interesting.

Youtube video:

Screenshot:
compasserrorp4.jpg

Last edited:
Well it didnt last long so maybe the second imu fixed the problem n didnt prolong the error

Did anyone else notice the compass error @ exactly 4:11 in the one of the Verge Phantom 4 review videos?

It quickly flashed up on screen when they were flying over the building testing the obstacle avoidance. Bearing in mind the P4 has dual IMU's, I found it interesting.

Youtube video:

Screenshot:
compasserrorp4.jpg

I noticed Props in the footage @ 3:49 .

I noticed Props in the footage ..

Watch the first video in this thread.

Phantom 4 Videos Thread

The reviewer notes the motors are only a cm or so higher, and the camera is actually mounted higher than the P3. So I think the whole "less prop in footage" thing is very exaggerated. But we can just tilt the camera down a bit right? Not ideal but no different to before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't fix a compass error. And the IMU most certainly cannot fix it. However, with two compasses, you can be more certain of the error and maybe even detect external interference (uncertain). Theoretically. With the right programming.

And since you can get a more reliable output from two IMUs, it may improve handling in case of a compass error. Theoretically. With the right programming.

Reactions: arizeda
In the video they have it labeled as RAW 4K. I didn't think you could get off raw out of the camera? Has that changed from the P3P? If so that would be very interesting. Then you could use Davinci Resolve 12 to grade the footage for a higher dynamic dynamic range of color and light. That would be huge for the final image quality. Right now DJI's only camera with the ability to give you RAW video is the X5R fore the inspire. Does anyone know the truth? My suspicion is that labeling was a mistake on the part of The Verge.

In the video they have it labeled as RAW 4K. I didn't think you could get off raw out of the camera? Has that changed from the P3P? If so that would be very interesting. Then you could use Davinci Resolve 12 to grade the footage for a higher dynamic dynamic range of color and light. That would be huge for the final image quality. Right now DJI's only camera with the ability to give you RAW video is the X5R fore the inspire. Does anyone know the truth? My suspicion is that labeling was a mistake on the part of The Verge.
Most likely poor choice of words. They probably meant it as in straight from the camera i.e. No post processing.

From what I understand LOG mode is DJI's "RAW" mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am curious as they now fly closer to objects whether it stands more chance of introducing compass errors or interference where as most people may play it safe and be further away etc.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik