Compass error and won't start. Please help, newbie here

Reaction score
Please help, newbie here. I just got my P3P last december and crashed it few weeks ago, i replaced the shell and now there's a compass error and won't start.
IMG_2331.PNG
IMG_2332.PNG

Everytime i try to start it this window will pop up
IMG_2334.PNG

I also tried calibrating it but still won't work
IMG_2335.PNG

It was woking before i replace the shell.
Do i need a new compass?

TIA

Assuming you connected everything up correctly with regards to the compass when you split the shell and the landing gear, it may be asking for a calibration in an area free of interference. Nothing metallic/electronic on your person, no buried cables and away from steel structures.

Please help, newbie here. I just got my P3P last december and crashed it few weeks ago, i replaced the shell and now there's a compass error and won't start.
Everytime i try to start it this window will pop up
I also tried calibrating it but still won't work
Do i need a new compass?
Maybe ... go to the Sensors section in the app settings.
Look to see what is shown for compass data.
If there are numbers there, you are OK.
But it it shows zero, you have a disconnected compass.
It could be the connector to the mainboard or a fine wire in the landing gear is broken.

Reactions: Oso
Thank you for the reply.
One more question, is it necessary to glue the compass? What kind of adhesive do i have to use?

Assuming you connected everything up correctly with regards to the compass when you split the shell and the landing gear, it may be asking for a calibration in an area free of interference. Nothing metallic/electronic on your person, no buried cables and away from steel structures.
Thanks for the reply

I am referring to the one in the landing gear, 'coz it was glued from the old landing gear

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
I had a minor crash before I got it outside, Kept getting the same message. Couldn't calibrate the compass no matter where I went. Then I kept getting RC Signal Lost. I read on here to Relink. Bingo! Away she went and haven't had any trouble since.

(...)
Do i need a new compass?
TIA

If your compass fully survived following the crash, and has shown full functionality before the shell replacement, then you've done something wrong during the replacement and damaged either its connection, or the compass itself. It's hard to guess.

Normally the DJI GO app sensors window should look like this attached pic (taken from my P3P), the compass Mod figure being btw 1400-1600. Gyro and Accel figures are typical too.
IMG_0266 (small).JPG
If by contrary, the said window is looking like this attached pic (taken from my crashed P3A with busted compass motherboard connection), then you have no compass, means a crucial failure that will prevent starting the motors.
IMG_0292 (small).JPG
Think about how the shell replacement went. Did your screwdriver eventually slipped and hit somewhere the ESC board ? (**** happens)
Check the integrity of the 4 wires that connect the compass to the ESC (it looks to be a simple I2C interface with Vcc 5V, GND, Serial Clock, Serial Data).

Tell us how's going :)

As said above, if the Compass Mod value isn't btw 1400-1600 then there is an issue. Actually DJI states the span is more large 750-2250, but the urban legend among phantom pilots has narrowed it, with 1500 being the golden middle. Try to buy another compass (included in the landing gear tandem) and see if it was just that or not.
If you have another P3P/A owned by someone that trusts you enough, try to mount your present landing gear with the compass on his bird. If it runs ok, then it means unfortunately the compass isn't the rootcause...

Thank you for all your comments and suggestions. New compass module arrived this morning, installed it, and my bird is flying again

Reactions: Quest-So
Thank you for all your comments and suggestions. New compass module arrived this morning, installed it, and my bird is flying again

Great, glad to hear it was just the compass itself. It costed you a minimal 11-12 $. Fly safe @donnep ! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31