Compass Error after take off...

Reaction score
I went up for a sunset flight. All of a sudden, I got a compass error and my P3S flew north at full speed. I wasn't controlling it at all. I quickly flipped the switch to RTH.

I panicked a bit, and used the RTH to basically stop the copter from getting away from me. It came back to me but wasn't acting right. I was at the beach and when it low enough, I force landed it hard.

Any ideas of what could've happened?

I calibrated prior to take off because the compass was stuck.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Try uploading your TXT flight log here. It might reveal what happened. Please post a link back here if you'd like other people to comment on your fight log.

Either you calibrated it in a bad location or the compass has an issue. I had to replace my compass when mine was only a month old because of constant errors

Reactions: SkyHog
Either you calibrated it in a bad location or the compass has an issue. I had to replace my compass when mine was only a month old because of constant errors

Was this warranty? Hard to do?

I get an error from time to time before take off that says, "compass error. Restart unit if problem persists, contact DJI".

A restart always fixes the problem.

Was this warranty? Hard to do?

I get an error from time to time before take off that says, "compass error. Restart unit if problem persists, contact DJI".

A restart always fixes the problem.

It would've been warranty but rather than wait on DJI I just replaced it myself. The part was only $15 and installation wasn't too hard. The hardest part is getting the shell popped apart. If your handy with a soldering iron soldering the existing wires onto the new compass would be easier than dissembling the shell. The compass is located in the landing gear but the wires are inside he drone.

It would've been warranty but rather than wait on DJI I just replaced it myself. The part was only $15 and installation wasn't too hard. The hardest part is getting the shell popped apart. If your handy with a soldering iron soldering the existing wires onto the new compass would be easier than dissembling the shell. The compass is located in the landing gear but the wires are inside he drone.

Thanks. No. I'm not handy like that at all. Lol.

Thanks. No. I'm not handy like that at all. Lol.

I would try recalibrating the compass in an area around no metal and if I still got the errors I would contact DJI for warranty then.watch some YouTube videos on he disassembly of a phantom 3 and see if it's something you can do. It's really not to hard

Reactions: SkyHog
@Flying Ant

As @msinger posted.
Upload your flight log to this web sight,
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Then copy / past the result url on this thread.

You should take a look at this thread, we are still looking for an answer.
Standard - Compass Error

Also this thread is pretty good on compass calibrations.
Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer

Rod

Rod I will check those links. I also posted the flight log above.

The log had s compass error AFTER it took off away from me!

Rod I will check those links. I also posted the flight log above.

The log had s compass error AFTER it took off away from me!

I only see the Healthy Drones Link.

Rod

Update, I got a message from DJI saying they are going to replace it at 100%. All but contriller and charger. Phew.

most excellent, I circled a magnet around my compass 4 or 5 times then reset it according to standards, this corrected my error messages but i have ta tell ya I went through 4 changes of shorts b4 it worked....drone facing you front forward, compass is located on the left landing leg to the rear, small tab at the bottom 2 phillips screws.
happy flying.

Attachments

• compass.jpg
    compass.jpg
    481.3 KB · Views: 321
Degaussing the compass as noted above fixed my compass error problem. Just used a fridge Pizza Hut card magnet. Started a few feet away going in circles and around the drone. Moved all the way in close then slowly back keeping the magnet always moving around till about 3 feet away. Likely overkill on the distance but it worked. Calibrated the compass and IMU. No more issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl