Compass calibration

Reaction score
Hi. I want to know if it is always necessary to calibrate compass in a new Phantom. I received mine today and once ready to take of, the go app didn't ask for a compass calibration. I made it anywhere but the app didn't ask for it. Any advice in regard to this? Thanks

I calibrate mine every flight just to be sure. Only takes a few seconds.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks. This is always a good advice, but some times one is not in the best place to make a compass calibration. It is safe to take of depending only on the go app info?

Hi. I want to know if it is always necessary to calibrate compass in a new Phantom. I received mine today and once ready to take of, the go app didn't ask for a compass calibration. I made it anywhere but the app didn't ask for it. Any advice in regard to this? Thanks
You need to do IMU Calibration in cold condition at leveled surface, RC Calibration and Compass calibration at the site when your P3 is new. Compass calibration need not be done overtime at the same site if you are sure nothing has gone wrong with calibration. Also ensure that site is free of magnetics materials else you will get error.

Better read documentation for calibration of these three parts.

I suggest you to view DJI videos before your first flight. First flight should be in open area with no tress or buildings in flying area.

Reactions: phantomi
The "just to be sure" idea isn't really true.
Doing a calibration every flight doesn't make you safer and it can introduce the risk of calibrating in a bad location which can cause real problems.
This explains things: Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer

...taken from the DJI Phantom (3) Manual (attached)

DJI_P3_CompassCalibration.PNG

DJI_P3_CompassRecalibration.PNG

Yup, part 2 of when to recalibrate. I fly in different places so recalibrate the compass when i get there.
...taken from the DJI Phantom (3) Manual
Everyone's seen what the manual says and it's contradictory and poorly written.
Experience has shown that it is completely unnecessary to recalibrate every flight and to do repeated unnecessary calibrations introduces other risks.
Read this and gain an understanding of what compass calibration does and when it's really necessary and you'll fly safer.
Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer

Yup, part 2 of when to recalibrate. I fly in different places so recalibrate the compass when i get there.

Flying in different places? How different..? To each his own I guess. I rarely calibrate.. I fly primarily in two areas 70 miles apart. No issues at all.

I'm going to agree read the primer
Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer

...taken from the DJI Phantom (3) Manual
Larry ... you're welcome to follow any compass calibration ritual you like.
Study of the way the Phantom works by hundreds of pilots has shown that the badly worded compass calibration section of the manual has confused many owners and caused problems.
If you choose to ignore the experience of others, that's fine but I was pointing out what the real situation is for the benefit of anyone that wants to know.
I get to see posts every week from people that think calibrating their compass every flight makes them safer, only to find out when they have problems caused by unnecessarily calibrating a perfectly good compass in a bad location.

I rarely recalibrate the compass. If the DJI GO app says normal then I believe it. I do test it according to the radar each flight. Once I went to Utah, USA (800 miles away). And forgot to recalibrate the compass. The app said NORMAL. I flew for 3-5 days without any issues. Does the phantom really care which way is north?? It uses direction in relation to the HOME POINT more than using N -S -E -W.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
I rarely recalibrate the compass. If the DJI GO app says normal then I believe it. I do test it according to the radar each flight. Once I went to Utah, USA (800 miles away). And forgot to recalibrate the compass. The app said NORMAL. I flew for 3-5 days without any issues.

Same here.

3 times in two years on my P2 ( once traveled 600 miles with no re-cal upon arrival or return home).

On a similar trajectory with my P3.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrequentFlyer
I rarely recalibrate the compass. If the DJI GO app says normal then I believe it. I do test it according to the radar each flight. Once I went to Utah, USA (800 miles away). And forgot to recalibrate the compass. The app said NORMAL. I flew for 3-5 days without any issues.

If I may, how do you correct the radar?

I was calibrating when ever I traveled more than a few miles from my last flight spot (was), now I only calibrate when the app complains or if I travel more than maybe 50 miles and I do everything I can to only do it in a clean environment, parks, beach...

The issue I had was on a return flight from out at sea flying backwards, I noticed my radar was off, by a long shot and it nearly put my phantom in the cliffs/trees. I was flying by radar, lesson learned.

I've calibrated several times since then and still see the radar off, usually after a few hundred yards and it kicks to the right

Count me in the group who gets a good calibration and keeps it unless I move to a new location (being more than maybe 100 miles away). If I get an "abnormal" in the app, I recalibrate but once I fly it (carefully) a couple times after that and I know I have a good calibration, I generally don't mess with it since I know that one is "good". I've always just had a general notion that even after calibrating, that calibration is unproven until I fly with no issues a couple times on that particular cal. Once that calibration has proven itself to me, I feel pretty confident in it.

Mike

Reactions: FrequentFlyer
In that group as well. Rarely calibrate unless I see abnormal flight characteristics or the software recommends it.
I've flown in two different locations as far as 300 miles apart with no re-calibration. No issues.

If I may, how do you correct the radar?
... I noticed my radar was off, by a long shot and it nearly put my phantom in the cliffs/trees. I was flying by radar, lesson learned.
I've calibrated several times since then and still see the radar off, usually after a few hundred yards and it kicks to the right
First place to look is the compass in your phone or tablet.
You can calibrate that too and that usually corrects the symptoms you describe.
Just google to find out how to calibrate your device's compass.

Reactions: lookin4pain

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31