Compass Calibration

Reaction score
I have attempted to calibrate compass numerous times without success. Everything happens according to the book until the vertical calibration ends with green lite changing to red and yellow flashing indicating calibration not successful. All attempts have ended with this result. Any suggestions????

Thanks

Try it at another location.

If you're close to metals, the red-yellow-red will always light up in my experience.

Have a look at this - it might help...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo7Kf3uo93I[/youtube]

metal is the #1 culprit of getting errors with the compass. I had a situation where I was at a park and placed the phantom on what appeared to be a concrete slab bench. It had metal tabs to keep it in place so people can vandalize it (basically metal restraining tabs). each tabs were about 3 inches wide and about an inch thick. this was enough to give me compass error when I put my phantom on the bench (even though the compass was a good couple of inches away from the metal tabs). I took it off the "bench" onto the ground and that cleared the problem i was having with the compass. I won't be surprised if watches or rings will cause the same errors.

If no metallic items are around and you are still having errors, try the above video trying to reset the compass. if it continues, i would go ahead and contact the dealer since it may be a lemon.

auck said:
metal is the #1 culprit of getting errors with the compass. I had a situation where I was at a park and placed the phantom on what appeared to be a concrete slab bench. It had metal tabs to keep it in place so people can vandalize it (basically metal restraining tabs). each tabs were about 3 inches wide and about an inch thick. this was enough to give me compass error when I put my phantom on the bench (even though the compass was a good couple of inches away from the metal tabs). I took it off the "bench" onto the ground and that cleared the problem i was having with the compass. I won't be surprised if watches or rings will cause the same errors.

If no metallic items are around and you are still having errors, try the above video trying to reset the compass. if it continues, i would go ahead and contact the dealer since it may be a lemon.

Agreed. I did try to take off from my car roof and no go (red/yellow flashing) so I had to move to the poly-carbonate moon roof part. Also when I left my Phantom in the back of my hybrid car near the traction battery, the compass messed up!

auck said:

auck, on top of the metal tabs, there was probably steel reinforcing bars in the bench itself. I avoid taking off from any concrete structure because most of it will contain re-bar of some sort. Just a thought.

MRSpyder2U said:
auck said:

auck, on top of the metal tabs, there was probably steel reinforcing bars in the bench itself. I avoid taking off from any concrete structure because most of it will contain re-bar of some sort. Just a thought.

yes, true. never thought of that. I would imagine that the re-bars would be at least a couple of inches from the surface of concrete. BUT that just goes to show how sensitive the compass really is.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub