Compass calibration...

gunslinger

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I never had any problems until the first time I calibrated the compass. Now I'm having erratic problems in flight.

Today I went to a new field and calibrated the compass before I got it off the ground. The calibration went well and I was sure to be in the middle of an open field, away from the TX and the iPhone. No powerlines... Nothing... It flew perfectly for quite some time, then I noticed it wasn't responding correctly to input from the TX. It wasn't hovering properly. I carefully brought it down and when it was closer to the ground it was reacting as though I was giving it forward stick. If I pulled back on it I could slow the speed quite a bit. When I got about two feet off the ground, I cut the engines and it tumbled just a bit.

I calibrated the compass again and it seemed to go as smoothly as last time, though I only flew it close to the ground for a limited time. Between this and the battery issues, things are getting a little scary here...

Anyone else seeing this?

Only the once, after I calibrated in a stupid place with most of the things you avoided right near it. I've seen two schools of compass dance. The "official" way (as espoused by DJI's Colin in the latest "how to fly your Vision" video) is to just hold it up off the ground a bit, keep it level-ish, rotate it in your hands in one axis, then the other. I've also see people grip their phantom by the legs whilst holding at arm's length and rotate themselves around, flip the phantom so holding by the bottom of the skids and then do the whole pirouette at arm's length again for the other axis.

The latter would seem to guarantee a smoother, more level rotation, but you're not doing it around the actual axis of the craft. I don't know how sensitive the compass is to being out of vertical/horizontal and whether that even matters much...

Pull_Up said:
Only the once, after I calibrated in a stupid place with most of the things you avoided right near it. I've seen two schools of compass dance. The "official" way (as espoused by DJI's Colin in the latest "how to fly your Vision" video) is to just hold it up off the ground a bit, keep it level-ish, rotate it in your hands in one axis, then the other. I've also see people grip their phantom by the legs whilst holding at arm's length and rotate themselves around, flip the phantom so holding by the bottom of the skids and then do the whole pirouette at arm's length again for the other axis.

The latter would seem to guarantee a smoother, more level rotation, but you're not doing it around the actual axis of the craft. I don't know how sensitive the compass is to being out of vertical/horizontal and whether that even matters much...

I've seen both methods as well and I'm using the one Colin recently displayed... I just re-calibrated again and plugged the PV into my PC and ran the Vision Assistant. Numbers look normal. X=265 Y=-45 Z=340 with the MOD at 1534. The PV was pointed more or less North at the time...

-slinger

New pilot here preparing for first flight. I am all booted up and connected but for one problem -- i can not get the phantom to enter compass calibration mode. s1 switch (the right side toggle switch) up and down 10 times -- nothing happens, and i still have blinking yellow or blinking green indicator lights.
What am i doing wrong? Thanks

A1962 said:
New pilot here preparing for first flight. I am all booted up and connected but for one problem -- i can not get the phantom to enter compass calibration mode. s1 switch (the right side toggle switch) up and down 10 times -- nothing happens, and i still have blinking yellow or blinking green indicator lights.
What am i doing wrong? Thanks

A few things to double check come to mind.

Are you sure the phantom and the transmitter are connected/paired?

When switching the s1 ( the toggle on the right side of the transmitter ) are you going from the very top, to the very bottom, up and down ten time, ending in the up position? It may be going from the top to the middle position! Just a thought in case you didn't realize it's a 3 position switch.

Lastly, are you waiting until,the initial warm up phase is over and it goes into the gps mode with slow flashing green lights?

Hope something in this helps, good luck, and safe flying.

Rich

Rich gave good advice, it took me a few tries to get it. The most important thing is to let everything settle for a while before trying to calibrate. I find if you wait until your app is all connected and ready then it's a good time to try and calibrate. The other thing I've found helps is not to do the switching either too fast or too slow. About 2 complete up and downs per second. I also count out to make sure I'm actually doing ten... try counting "and" as you flip all the way down then saying "1" as you hit top position again... (e.g. "and 1, and 2, and 3....") That way you'll end up in the upper position after 10 cycles and can check those LEDs.

Good luck!

I have also problems to get phantom to compass calibration mode. I tried this several times when phantom was out of the box and nothing happens. Now I upgraded to new firmware, but still same problem.

I do not know what to do next ... well I think I'll go fly :)

urgno said:
not good to fly without compass calibration :roll:

Been there... done that... had minor cardiac event... replaced props... :shock: :eek:

-slinger

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20