Compass Calibration Yes/No

Reaction score
As a general rule I always calibrate my compass before lift off (I'm a safety kinda guy), however when I get to my next location which sometimes is 10 miles away, (once I was 40 miles from my last location) I turn everything on it tells me that my home point has been updated please check it on the map. I calibrate my compass regardless because I don't like taking chances, but does this mean its not necessary? Everything I've ever read says re-calibrate when you move to another location. I think when it says my home point has been updated please check it on the map means the satellites have found my new location but does excuse me from compass re-calibration. Am I correct?

Check out this thread for the best advice on when to calibrate the compass.

As a general rule I always calibrate my compass before lift off (I'm a safety kinda guy), however when I get to my next location which sometimes is 10 miles away, (once I was 40 miles from my last location) I turn everything on it tells me that my home point has been updated please check it on the map. I calibrate my compass regardless because I don't like taking chances, but does this mean its not necessary? Everything I've ever read says re-calibrate when you move to another location. I think when it says my home point has been updated please check it on the map means the satellites have found my new location but does excuse me from compass re-calibration. Am I correct?
The link you've been referred to above should explain things.
btw ... Your GPS records home point and the compass handles direction and flying straight.
They are two different things and not related

Reactions: Falcon900
The link you've been referred to above should explain things.
btw ... Your GPS records home point and the compass handles direction and flying straight.
They are two different things and not related

Ok thx

Check out this thread for the best advice on when to calibrate the compass.
Thanks for the thread, good info to know. Like I said I always re-calibrate regardless of where I am. Sometimes I have no option but to calibrate over asphalt or concrete, grass and open area isn't always available. Lights always flash correctly and the app always says I'm good to fly GPS, so I go for it. Lots of good info on that thread but I wonder...if I calibrate in a good area can I move to other areas without having to re-calibrate since maybe my next area might be over asphalt or concrete?

if I calibrate in a good area can I move to other areas without having to re-calibrate since maybe my next area might be over asphalt or concrete?
Per that thread, don't recalibrate the compass unless you move more than ~100 miles from the last place you calibrated the compass.

Reactions: jp_flkeys
Not looking to dis-credit msinger but there is no set distance to require a compass cal.

I have traveled 600 miles from a previous cal location with no re-cal required at the new location or upon returning home.

My procedure is to launch the a/c and do a quick flight control check. If the a/c moves in a straight line then no worries, off I go.

It has been about 1.5 yrs since I last cal-ed my P2.

YMMV

Not looking to dis-credit msinger but there is no set distance to require a compass cal.
No worries. I didn't write that thread :)

The takeaway is that people should not obsessively calibrate the compass.

Reactions: N017RW
I also do it, and IMU too, whenever an app update is made, like recent 2.9.1 in iOS. Some things just change there.

I see some lagging bug when switching from photo to movie where the setting type (D-log, B&W, D-Cinemalike, etc.) will not change on first press. Have to hit some other color type and then the final one that shows on the screen's top title bar.

I have traveled 600 miles from a previous cal location with no re-cal required at the new location or upon returning home.

My procedure is to launch the a/c and do a quick flight control check. If the a/c moves in a straight line then no worries, off I go.

It has been about 1.5 yrs since I last cal-ed my P2.

YMMV
Ive had a similar experience where I recently travelled from Australia to Scotland and didn't recalibrate my p4's compass and it flew flawlessly in seriously strong and gusty winds and over water etc.. I took off over there and it flew very stable/straight etc so I figured why risk the chance of me calibrating the compass poorly

Reactions: N017RW
I just spent a week on Cape Cod flying my P3. I live in NH about 150 miles away. No calibration done, no problems.
Came home and flew it again, no calibration done, no problems.

The only time I recalibrate mine is if I have made modifications inside the craft or have had a serious crash then I will cal the IMU and compass. Asphalt an concrete without rebar will not present a problem requiring compass cal either.

Per that thread, don't recalibrate the compass unless you move more than ~100 miles from the last place you calibrated the compass.

Yeah I read that but guess it didn't sink in, thought that was pretty far, thanks.
Per that thread, don't recalibrate the compass unless you move more than ~100 miles from the last place you calibrated the compass.[/QUO

The only time I recalibrate mine is if I have made modifications inside the craft or have had a serious crash then I will cal the IMU and compass. Asphalt an concrete without rebar will not present a problem requiring compass cal either.

That's great to hear about the asphalt, where I live there is no rebar. I thought maybe the density was a problem or maybe a chemical used would be an issue. Thanks for the heads up...jp

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic