Compass calibration: when/how and what sequence?

Reaction score
I’m running Phantom V2+ in Naza mode and have a question on compass calibration sequence.

Do you start everything up as stated in the manual and immediately do compass calibration, then wait for 6 or more GPS satellites and then fly?

Do you start everything up as stated in the manual and immediately do compass calibration, shut the phantom down, restart the phantom, wait for 6 or more GPS satellites and then fly?

Do you start everything up as stated in the manual wait for home point to be established wait for 6 or more GPS satellites, then do compass calibration, then fly?

I’m not sure just when and how to do compass calibration since the manual does not go into details.

Three reasons (that I can come up with at the moment) why you should do compass calibration.

1. When it's forcing you to.
2. When you're in an entirely different area. (Ex: Travelled for more than two hours)
3. When the Phantom is hovering in circles.

You should either get flashing red lights (meaning you failed) or straight to GPS indicator (RRRG, RRG, RG, G) meaning it passed. It's usually set to go right after that, but you're more than welcome to power-cycle to be sure.

UrAwFuL said:
1. When it's forcing you to.
2. When you're in an entirely different area. (Ex: Travelled for more than two hours)
3. When the Phantom is hovering in circles.

4. if you have added something to your phantom like a tracker.
5. if your car has subwoofers or large speakers
6. if you have disconnected the compass (to change landing gears). The screw driver might have a magnetic tip.
7. if your mod in the assist is outside of 1200-1600

Also with UrAwFul's point 2, I don't compass dance if i'm travelling north/south. I don't think there is a need as the declination would be minimum.

Depending on how quickly I want to get airborne,
Once in a while, I sometimes take off with little or no sats in low wind conditions. I use ATTI to get some height and keep my eye on the Radar Distance. If the distance in the radar changes from NA to 0.0, it means I have a home lock. Once HL is found I then switch to GPS mode. I can then do airborne HL and CL resets to avoid tall trees if RTH is activated.

Thanks for all the input but the sequence of how to do the calibration is still the question. I do believe to be safe you should calibrate before each First flight in current location.

Since my first post on this subject I have talked to people who build all models of DJI and here is their option on the subject. Do the normal startup and after you turn on the phantom do the compass calibration. Turn off the phantom, it has stored the current compass location info. Turn the phantom back on and let it go through all its startup procedures in particular home point uninterrupted with current accurate compass information. If you still get drifting there are other problem you need to look at like broken compass sensor or issues inside the Phantom itself.

Does the sound reasonable? Anyone else follow this compass calibration sequence?

Personally I do the calibration only if I see trouble with position hold or if I traveled really far from the last calibration point
If I calibrate I do the dance with the phantom let it get the first sat lock then power it down and back up and then do my standard check before starting my mission.

rwebcon said:
Thanks for all the input but the sequence of how to do the calibration is still the question. I do believe to be safe you should calibrate before each First flight in current location.

Since my first post on this subject I have talked to people who build all models of DJI and here is their option on the subject. Do the normal startup and after you turn on the phantom do the compass calibration. Turn off the phantom, it has stored the current compass location info. Turn the phantom back on and let it go through all its startup procedures in particular home point uninterrupted with current accurate compass information. If you still get drifting there are other problem you need to look at like broken compass sensor or issues inside the Phantom itself.

Does the sound reasonable? Anyone else follow this compass calibration sequence?

Interesting info. I have been doing the compass dance after all the start-up sequences complete and I have the slow flashing green lights indication my P2 is ready. I've never had any issues. I don't know if it really matters...

Done it twice on my P2.

Once when new, second time after replacing the OEM r/c receiver with Futaba.

Traveled as far as 600 miles (Fla. - N.C. and back) since the second time.

It's not that simple...

Unless you don't consider 600 miles 'quite a distance'.

There's likely not any quantifiable condition other than on-the-spot a/c performance upon relocation.

I sooooo agree.

There are many similar paranoid type rituals described within these 'pages'.
Assigning success or failure to coincidence rather than statistical validity (i.e. logical fallacies).

However, I do not wish to insult or minimize others as I believe 'to each his own' and 'if makes you happy'.

N017RW said:
It's not that simple...

There's likely not any quantifiable condition other than on-the-spot a/c performance upon relocation.
Ok sorry , if I go to another area a couple of miles away I'll do it. I think many people are compass calibration crazy. Every flight , really ?

Mori55 said:
N017RW said:
It's not that simple...

Ok sorry , if I go to another area a couple of miles away I'll do it. I think many people are compass calibration crazy. Every flight , really ?

Hey, were cool M-55!
Just sharing my experience... As they say: "Your mileage may vary". :)

Mori55 said:

A couple of miles is nothing and would not necessitate re-calibration.
It is possible to travel 600 miles and more without needing recalibration at all (in some situations). But you have to understand what calibration is doing to know when/if it is required rather than just doing it like some ritual.
All the details are in this post ...
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=22435&p=205776#p205776

I do notice with my + I get calibrate compass message more than any of my other naza equipped quads.
Also noticed with my other nazas I would get sat lock faster.
From reading this forum the calibrate compass message comes up rather frequently.
Seems to happen especially I've been using the assistant. Same spot I've had all my phantoms and 450 sitting doing the samething
And never had this happen as much. Don't get me wrong it flys fine , just seems to loose calibration more than I'm used to.

When I first started I had this issue every time I fired it up. Got to thinking about it. I was launching from a concrete heli pad at the local RC field. In an 'aha' moment I realized that heli pad probably has metal concrete reinforcement in it. I quit launching from there and the problem went away.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj