compass calibration question from manual

Reaction score
Hey there all,

I'm reading the P2 manual for the 15th time :) Under the compass recalibration section, the manual says that compass recalibration is required, among other things, when the "last compass calibration was performed at a completely different flying field/location."

What is meant by "completely different"? Do they mean another part of the same field? 100 feet away? 10,000 feet away? Another city 100 miles away? A neighbouring town just 5km away?

Thoughts?

Since it takes no more than 1/2 minute for a compass calibration, I perform them quite often... as often as flying in the same place. If I feel there is something wrong or I'm getting red lights, I calibrate. It's a minor inconvenience for a little more peace of mind.

More importantly, learn what the lights mean and use that to determine the status of your Phantom.

Its a good question,, Your P2 has a magnetic compass. There are many reasons to recalibrate your compass, examples are did you last calibrate with your iPhone in your pocket or even close by? ,, were you sitting in your car? Did you change your exact last flight home location? And I do mean exact take off spot. is that clear? If yes to any of these you could experience a bad flight. Avoid Cell towers,, Electric High tension wires, Steel girders or anything that may goof up a magnetic compass.

I see this question asked a LOT! So why not be safe and calibrate the compass before EVERY flight regardless? That's what I do. Only takes a couple extra seconds and it's worth the peace of mind. Just my 2 cents.

U.M.

when i do calibration gimbal is moving from the 2nd rotation is it bad for the gimbal ?

Thanks everybody, interesting answers. I guess my response to those who say "why not calibrate every time, it only takes a couple of seconds", is to say why go through even a 30-second calibration process if it's actually unnecessary? ;)

More importantly to me: the manual specifically points out four, and only four, circumstances when a recalibration is required. Three of those don't happen very often and are easily observable. The one that might happen most often is the "calibration was performed at a completely different location" circumstance. If we can get a good handle on what DJI means by that, then we'll know precisely when a calibration needs to be performed, and don't need to worry about it otherwise.

canadavenyc said:
The one that might happen most often is the "calibration was performed at a completely different location" circumstance. If we can get a good handle on what DJI means by that, then we'll know precisely when a calibration needs to be performed, and don't need to worry about it otherwise.

I don't know what DJI means, but a "different location" could mean a place where magnetic declination is "different". You can check declinations e.g. on http://magnetic-declination.com/ . If declination change is more than one degree, I will recalibrate.

canadavenyc said:
Thanks everybody, interesting answers. I guess my response to those who say "why not calibrate every time, it only takes a couple of seconds", is to say why go through even a 30-second calibration process if it's actually unnecessary? ;)
Ever hear your parents say... "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"? :cool:

U.M.

And another thing I read somewhere (in the manual?) about the compass. It is a good idea to launch your Phantom pointing north. I always do this and have never suffered the problems of the Phantom wandering around for a while after take-off.

Great Pumpkin said:
And another thing I read somewhere (in the manual?) about the compass. It is a good idea to launch your Phantom pointing north. I always do this and have never suffered the problems of the Phantom wandering around for a while after take-off.

I like your theory,, "Take off pointing North" ,, May have missed that in the DJI manual, I live west of Goleta,, we have a special zone of magnetic interference due to our geographic location on the earth.. I learned this from a post by Ironwood. My regular take off spot faces East,, I have had few minor crashes due to Pilot learning curve,, near losses, and one complete loss due to a carbon fiber prop breaking. Now my Drones (P2 with Zenmuse and GoPro black and a New Vision Plus,, both are working AOK,, over 100 flights without a problem.

I will test your theory and let you know the results,,

Great Pumpkin said:

Interesting. I've never heard about that.
Anybody try it yet?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik