Compass calibration....ongoing question

Reaction score
Hi fairly new to the phantom 3 enjoying it and this forum very much. But a question I always heard mixed responses to was compass calibrating before every flight. The general consensus on this forum is that it's not needed unless it's out of calibration or mod range or if you leave and are flying in a different ar a than it was calibrated in. I had an issue I needed to discuss with DJI and while on the chat I ask this question and recieved an answer of yes it is recommended by DJI to perform a calibration before every flight. Later in the discussion I brought this up again to clarify and he confirmed it again even if flying in the same area. I know I have read that it could introduce a bad calibration which is a thought but interesting the opinions on this topic. Have read the link on here what the calibration is doing etc. Any other thoughts or comments?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 355
Yes that's the link I referred to in the post. I read that a couple times and it's good info. But if DJI is suggesting the recal before every flight it makes me wonder where the disconnect came from?

DJI's documentation contains conflicting information. In some places, they say to calibrate every time. In other places, they say to calibrate when flying in new locations.

I calibrate every time. Even after I change batteries. The reasoning is because I have noticed when I do this every time, when I push the return to home button the Phantom will land within 1-5ft of the original takeoff spot. When I do not calibrate, it will land 5-10ft from the original takeoff spot. This is the only difference I have seen. I want it to always be precise.

It appears that most don't calibrate before each flight. If it makes you feel more comfortable to do such procedure each time, then so be it. It's unlikely anyone is going to run into any issues with repeated, unnecessary calibrations therefore, this issue/question is likely not going away soon.

Reactions: Robmora33
If you get a good calibration, no metal nearby, no interference etc then stick with it! There is absolutely no benefit in constantly calibrating your compass wherever you go, in fact it's risky.

I calibrate every time. Even after I change batteries. The reasoning is because I have noticed when I do this every time, when I push the return to home button the Phantom will land within 1-5ft of the original takeoff spot. When I do not calibrate, it will land 5-10ft from the original takeoff spot. This is the only difference I have seen. I want it to always be precise.
Hum, I understand the RTH uses GPS logged point. The compass is used for it to know the correct direction to travel to RTH.

Reactions: Meta4
Hum, I understand the RTH uses GPS logged point. The compass is used for it to know the correct direction to travel to RTH.

..that was what I thought as well....

I only calibrate with each new location OR day. If I do a battery swap at a location I will not re-calibrate. It'd be a PITA as sometimes I do multiple flights on a single battery and.. well I have yet to have issues :)

Well all I can say is that every time I calibrate even though it just has to do with the compass, when using the return home button it seems to be on point. When I don't calibrate for each flight, it is a couple to 10ft off the original take off spot. I have done it both ways numerous times. Try it out and see what your preference is. Good luck!

I should rephrase what I said I guess. I only recalibrate when I change batteries or location. I do not recalibrate when using the same battery on multiple flights.

I will, snow and freezing rain here today.

I have never heard of a bad compass calibration on a P3. They are either calibrated, or they're not. If they're not, then it would state the calibration was not successful. And because of this, a compass calibration is piece of mind. The task itself is just too easy to do to not insure the process is set to go.

Ya I understand the logic of getting a bad compass calibration and would make sense to me to do it only when necessary. But there lies the dilemma. DJI recommends doing it before every flight. I have read a post of a person that had a problem/crash and when speaking to DJI he stated that was one of the first questions they ask, and went further to say its reccomended before each flight. I'm sure that most times the unit would fly fine without doing it before every flight, it relying on the last successful calibration. But I hate to take that gamble by not doing it when its reccomended by the manufacturer.
I have even seen some people refer to it as a silly superstition or dance that makes the person feel better before flight. This statement would hold water if the manufacturer did not recommend it.
So I guess it boils down to doing what you personally are comfortable with, even if it is not following DJI's suggestions. If you never have any problems at that rate....don't fix it if ain't broke could apply. But I think I will continue to calibrate under that same reasoning and per DJI and use precaution when doing so as to get a good calibration.

Another topic that I forgot to ask when chatting with DJI is the throttle down for 3 seconds in flight not shutting off the motors. I have watched videos and read so many posts showing and stating they will NOT. But the newbie in me....its hard to bring myself to perform this action in flight when on the ground that action kills the motors. Will have to just face my $1000 fear and do it I guess. Lol

DJI recommends doing it before every flight.
The Phantom manual states the following:
"Always calibrate the compass in every new flight location"

And, then about a half page later:
"Calibrate the compass before each flight"

Yes I have seen that as well. Rock solid info there. Also.....just snapped this pic on a chat with them.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 350
Yes I have seen that as well. Rock solid info there. Also.....just snapped this pic on a chat with them.
This is the reason the Phantom manual is usually my go-to source for correct information.

I had an issue I needed to discuss with DJI and while on the chat I ask this question and recieved an answer of yes it is recommended by DJI to perform a calibration before every flight. Later in the discussion I brought this up again to clarify and he confirmed it again even if flying in the same area. I know I have read that it could introduce a bad calibration which is a thought but interesting the opinions on this topic. Have read the link on here what the calibration is doing etc. Any other thoughts or comments?
Unfortunately DJI phone people are not always the best people to get advice from.
There are many cases of wrong information being passed on by them.
I'm looking for a recent post by an authoritative DJI source explaining what you are asking about.
I will add it to this thread when I can find it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl