Compass calibration mode error

Reaction score
Hi,

In the manual they told me it is very important that I calibrate the compass. For this you should move switch S1 up and down, 8 ~ 10 times. The LED'on the Phantom should turn yellow. I have tried this several times but the LED is still green :( .

Please advise.

Thank you.

Probably a silly suggestion, but make sure the transmitter is turned on. Look for the LED on it to be illuminated.

Then flip the switch quickly, all the way, up and down ten times. The switch has three positions, so it's possible that you aren't switching it all the way. The LEDs on the 'copter should turn orange and you can start the "compass dance."

-- Roger

It took me a couple of goes to get it initially. What works for me is starting with the switch fully up and then move it all the way down and say "and", then move it all the way up and say "one". Back down again and say "and", back up again and say "two"... carry on like this making two complete switches per second until you get to about 8 or so and make sure you stop on "8" - i.e. in the up position. If the Vision hasn't entered calibration mode by then try again but go up to 10.

Hope that makes sense. It worked for me, even if there's no science behind it! I think the counting helps you to get into a rhythm (which if its irregular seems to restart the Vision counting your switches from the beginning again) and end on a switch up position.

Oh, and to avoid odd looks best to do the counting in your head... :lol:

While I try to never argue with success, I do pretty much what Colin does in the Tutorial...and that is quickly switching back and forth from top position to the bottom...8-10 times..probably taking no more than 2 seconds from start to finish.. The only time I've had any issue doing it this way, was the time I forgot to turn on the Controller power.....duh!

Topeeka said:
While I try to never argue with success, I do pretty much what Colin does in the Tutorial...and that is quickly switching back and forth from top position to the bottom...8-10 times..probably taking no more than 2 seconds from start to finish.. The only time I've had any issue doing it this way, was the time I forgot to turn on the Controller power.....duh!

Ever hear the one about the tortoise and the hare? ;) You're right though, it doesn't matter how you do it, as long as you get it done when you need to.

You impatient youngsters... :lol:

Thanks for all the good advise and yes, the transmitter is turned on ;)

I tried the counting routine. I tried it slow and I tried it fast, no luck so far :(
Should I begin with the switch up, middle or down?
What can happen if I just skip this?

Greetings from Holland :)

Start with it up.

Don't skip it - the compass is currently taking its view of the Earth's magnetic field as being wherever your Vision was manufactured. If you don't calibrate it before your first flight one of three things might happen:

1. It will fly perfectly - for now.
2. It will fly a little erratically and won't hold station in GPS mode very well.
3. It will fly very erratically indeed and it will crash - probably hard.

Keep trying, but not so much you snap S1 off the transmitter! Maybe try getting it into calibration mode at home, in the warm. Then, when you get whatever technique is working go out to a wide open grassy area and do it again there. If you really can't get it to take it might be a defective unit - speak to your dealer for advice.

Oh ... I just thought of another thing to consider. The difference between green LEDs and yellow (orange?) LEDs is subtle to my eyes. I really can't see much of a difference in the two colors. It helps me to watch for the change in colors as I start flipping the switch rather than look to see if they are orange.

It's a challenge to hold the PV, flip the switch, and look at the LEDs so I often ask my wife to hold the transmitter and flip the switch.

-- Roger

It's done :D
I started the sequence inside and the actual calibration outside the house.
Thanks again and have a safe flight!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.