Compass calibration issues

Reaction score
Tried to fly my maiden flight on my new P4 today. But for the life of me couldn't get the compass calibrated. Tried about 18 times at 3 different locations and on two different batteries. Finally gave up and flew it in P mode. Ran through the 1st battery, traveled for 3kms and 19mins in total. 2nd battery, traveled for 2.5kms and 17mins. So in all, I has a successful day flying. So what to try next to get this compass calibrated? Any suggestions or help will be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Tried to fly my maiden flight on my new P4 today. But for the life of me couldn't get the compass calibrated. Tried about 18 times at 3 different locations and on two different batteries. Finally gave up and flew it in P mode. Ran through the 1st battery, traveled for 3kms and 19mins in total. 2nd battery, traveled for 2.5kms and 17mins. So in all, I has a successful day flying. So what to try next to get this compass calibrated? Any suggestions or help will be much appreciated.
What was the problem?
Sometimes you have to turn more than 360° for it to work.
The important thing is to avoid areas where the earth's normal magnetic field is distorted by steel or electric cables.
Keep away from cars, buried pipes and reinforced concrete etc.
You can check the compass data in the Sensor section of the app.
Make sure both compasses are functioning there.

Hello Meta4, the Compass just would not calibrate. I kept going around slowly till the screen said to change positions or that the calibration failed. I also mention changing locations. Two completely different empty car parks and a flying field. I will take a closer look at the sensor section. It was hard trying to see the screen yesterday in mid-day sunlight. Thanks for the quick reply.

Ok, I get it now, on the second part of the compass calibration, the instructions show the drone on its side. This was what I was doing for those 18 calibration attempts. On the DJI Phantom 4 tutorial, they have the drone pointing/facing down. So this might be the problem. Just watched the video. Looking forward to try this now!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik