Compass Calibrate

Why do you want to collect this data?

Reactions: yankee65
Every time. Besides I get to tell anyone near me to stick around for my lame calibration dance lol.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I haven't calibrated for months but I've looked into lots of crash reports that start with "I calibrated before the flight like I always do".
And quite a few of them were caused by bad compass calibration.

Reactions: dirkclod
I am a noob at this and I will do it every time I fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have calibrated once and done 52 Flights. I have never messed with the factory IMU calibration.

Only calibrate after updates ore when I am flying at a new place a long way from home. Otherwise better leave whats good.

Only calibrate after updates ore when I am flying at a new place a long way from home. Otherwise better leave whats good.
Calibrate compass before flying at site once on that day.

I do it less and less the more I fly. I have always made sure I was in a area free of known causes for compass degradation, but I could never observe a benefit from doing them. I believe the phantom is smart enough to calculate where a phantom should be, given the compass heading and the predictability of a gps location. In other words, if you travel at a compass heading of 270, the phantom should be able to calculate you passing over point x on the map, if this fails to come true, then I would expect the phantom to view this as a compass error.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

We clearly have other opinions, Its really not nessesary to calibrate every time. Only when you're a hunderd ore more miles away from your last location. Only result is a probabel ****** of your already good calibrated compass with errors as a result. Ore worse.

Last edited:
I have about 50 flights I calibrate when I travel more than a couple hundred miles away.

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

I have been flying out of the same site for about 25 flights and get a compass error 2 times. Just wondering what was causing it.
You should investigate why did you get compass error while flying as that could result into loss of P3.

Did you forget to calibrate before flights?

You should investigate why did you get compass error while flying as that could result into loss of P3.

You don't need to calibrate before flights. You need a good calibration and then don't do it again unless you travel a good distance away from the calibration location. If you calibrate before every flight you risk getting a bad calibration which really could cause you an issue. Get a good calibration and leave alone.

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

I am a noob at this and I will do it every time I fly.

The usual reason for calibrating every flight is that the user doesn't understand what calibration does or how it works.
People do it as something of a superstitious ritual, thinking that somehow it will ensure safe flight and some even think it tells the GPS where it is!
Calibrating every time is completely unnecessary and introduces the risk of getting a bad calibration.
Most compass error related crashes are caused by "calibrate-every-time" flyers.

If you understand compass calibration, you can fly a lot safer.
Read this thread to get an understanding:
Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer

I usually do my calibrate IMU, Gimbal and Compass, after the firmware or app updates. Only done them 5 or so times... It's fun, but actually unnecessary before each and every flight. Could cause problems too.
No, I do it when needed only. & Never had a hitch. Well you know, I Never owned a horse either though. Hehe

RedHotPoker

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj