Compass Caliberation Issue

Reaction score
So I tried to caliberate the compass turning it horizontally is successful but when I point it nose down and turn it I get the yellow/red lights. Tried it 5 or 6 times and nothing. There are power lines about 200 yards away, could that be my problem?

Last edited:
So I tried to caliberate the compass turning it horizontally is successful but when I point it nose down and turn it I get the yellow/red lights. Tried it 5 or 6 times and nothing.
turn a little past 360 degrees in your rotation and see if that helps.

Yeah I turned past the 360 degree's on the vertical turn and still getting the red/yellow lights.

Also when I first power on the phantom (before putting in compass caliberatoin mode), the lights are just solid red. Is that an issue?

Think it's about time to read the manual. And yes solid red LED's on the rear are a big issue.

Reactions: kminton327
I red the manual and researched online and most said to do the Advanced Caliberation. So I did the advanced caliberaton and recaliberated my RC and Phantom. The P2 software said the IMU recab was not needed. Good news is the steady red light is gone. When I initially power up the P2 takes a bit but it locks on to GPS (blinking green lights). Again I tried the Compass Caliberation and the horizontal part is good but when I do the vertical turn...I still get the red/yellow blinking lights. Tried it about 5 times this AM. The compass MOD after the caliberation was 1532.

Previous owner (I purchased it used), said he had no issues whatsoever. Anything else I can try? Would I be making a big mistake if I just tried to fly it without completing the Compass Caliberation?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
So I tried to caliberate the compass turning it horizontally is successful but when I point it nose down and turn it I get the yellow/red lights. Tried it 5 or 6 times and nothing. There are power lines about 200 yards away, could that be my problem?

Power line could be a problem depending how big they are, if they are the big, main transmission lines, yeah, you will have a problem.

Power line could be a problem depending how big they are, if they are the big, main transmission lines, yeah, you will have a problem.

Yeah actually they are. The pic isn't of the power lines by my house but these are pretty much what we have about 150-200yds away.

If the powerlines are the issue, that means I won't be able to fly at home? I guess I can go try and take the phantom somewhere else and see if it can be compass caliberated there?

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 272
Are you sure you have the front facing DOWN? Try starting facing North and rotate horizontally, stop, point phantom down, then rotate 450 degrees.
I tried it like you said....facing north but it still would not work. I tried like 3 times, but maybe I should keep trying?

With the compass caliberation issue, I wanted to make sure the drone itself will fly. So took out in my backyard and flew it no more than maybe 20 ft in the air and just practiced a little. Now while hovering, it did keep its position but I'm guessing thats the GPS that is doing that. What exactly does the compass do or how is it critical that its caliberated? Seems like it flys fine as it is right now. Maybe this is a stupid question so I apologize.

Huge transmission lines give off a huge magnetic circle, so do not fly anywhere near them, meaning 200 yards. Here is what you do, get in your car or truck drive out in the country someplace, stop on the side of the road and take out you Phantom and do the DJI dance, meaning the calibration. Hopefully, you will pick a huge pasture that is flat and has cattle running or feeding in it, no trees, because with trees, you have to gain altitude above them in order to keep your phantom in sight and be sure to keep your antenae pointed at the Phantom while your flying. If your out in the middle of nowhere and can not get your Phantom to calibrate after a few attempts of turning it on and off and all that, then I would say your screwed.

P2's are real suspectible to programming errors. Above all else, be sure to do the IMU calibration with the latest firmware. Be sure you go through all the calibration steps, regardless if the unit says you do not need one, do it anyway. Above all else, be sure to do the advanced calibration and follow the prompts.

The P2 is DJI's first attempt at auto flying and you have to remember that, remember to make sure that the left and right switches are in their proper positions.

In conclusion, there are a ton of Youtube Video's concerning the P2's calibration and IMU calibration, watch as many as you can, so you can get a better understanding.

Reactions: iowahill

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.