Comparing Phantom 3 and 4

Reaction score
Long story short, 2-3 years ago I bought a Phantom 2. I made a few videos. One video was well received by the workplace I did this for and is used for recruiting -

Now the University wants me to buy a quadcopter for them (using their money). It will just be used for simple filming similar to the Youtube video - but at several different places in the U.S. I could use my own quadcopter, but don't want to wear it out using it for these things.

So my questions are:
1) Which do you recommend - Phantom 3 or 4?
2) Is the camera that come with them any good? ( like the gimble balance, video quality, etc...)
3) My Phantom 2 worked with a GoPro4 and I flew it visually (not using Ipad or Iphone)
If I buy a Phan 3 or 4 - is it really worth getting an Ipad and hook it up to the controller for flying?
4) I am likely to be traveling. Is there a travel case specifically made for taking the copters on airplanes?
5) Isn't there an issue with the airlines about taking lithium batteries on planes?
6) Are most of the issues with older phantoms resolved? (like gps issues, losing contact between controller and copter, etc...)

Any other things to consider or things that I need to be aware of? I just got back into updating myself and
see there is a object avoidiance.

The p 4 is way better for your purpose. Much better pictures and video. I have both. More safety features and p4 fly’s more stable. It comes with a case,but it not strong enough for air travel. More automated modes for more steady and better filming.

The more money the better filming quality you get in a DJI drone, but the p4 is much cheaper than the drones above it.

The P3 Pro and P4 are excellent platforms both for what you want to do.

P3's are cheaper ... basically end of line (except for P3S and SE which I would not advise for your task).

The P3Pro does not have the collision avoidance stuff - but in reality ? is it that vital ?

I have the P3Pro and I have to say I am totally biased to it. But if I had not already the P3S and batterys etc. - I might have gone for the P4 ... but its a lot of money difference. I think the P3Pro, reasonable screen and couple spare batterys = the P4 basic kit out of box.

Hard one to answer I reckon ...

Without checking I have feeling that Photo / Video standards are similar between the two. And lets be honest - even the lesser resolution P3S does a pretty fine job ...

Nigel

Since you know you're going to be traveling a lot look into the DJI Mavic Pro or Mavic Pro Platinum. They are very small form factor and has basically the same camera as the P3Pro line up.

Which do you recommend - Phantom 3 or 4?
If there is no budget and you're looking for the best available camera, then get the P4P or P4A.

Is the camera that come with them any good? ( like the gimble balance, video quality, etc...)
The camera/gimbal quality is as good or better than drones made by competing manufacturers.

If I buy a Phan 3 or 4 - is it really worth getting an Ipad and hook it up to the controller for flying?
You definitely want to fly with some kind of mobile device since DJI GO will provide you will valuable flight information as you're flying. If you want to pack light, skip the tablet and use the phone in your pocket. The downside of not using a dedicated mobile device is that you might run out of battery life if you're planning on flying for long periods of time before heading back to a place where you can recharge your batteries.

I am likely to be traveling. Is there a travel case specifically made for taking the copters on airplanes?
If possible, pack your drone equipment in your carry-on bag. That'll ensure it's protected (and doesn't get thrown around). If you must check your drone equipment, then consider a Go Professional hard case. Either way you go, the drone batteries must always be packed in your carry-on bag.

Isn't there an issue with the airlines about taking lithium batteries on planes?
There is no issue for any batteries made by DJI. You must pack all drone batteries in your carry-on bag with the battery terminals covered.

Are most of the issues with older phantoms resolved?
The current Phantoms have very detailed flight logs. Those flight logs help troubleshoot issues when they arise. While I don't think we're seeing less issues with newer Phantoms, the flight logs do show many of the issues are caused by some type of pilot error. And since pilots will always make errors, drones will never be issue-free.

I agree with @BigAl07 above. You should also consider the Mavic if you're going to be traveling a lot.

Reactions: BigAl07
I have the P4P, Inspire 1 Pro, Mavic Pro and Spark. The one I use most often is the Mavic due to its portability. If I need some serious photos I go to the P4P and if I need some serious cinematography I got to the Inspire 1 Pro.

I can't comment on the Mavic but I do have a P3S, P4P, Inspire 1, Inspire 2, and a Yuneec Typhoon H Pro. My goto is my P4P.

Out of your list - I too would go for the P4P !!

We have a couple of Mavics in the club and to be honest apart from its portability - the owners both say they would prefer a P3P or P4 ....
Both are not impressed by the camera ! And its flightiness in any wind ...

Nigel

Reactions: Indiana_pyro
Out of your list - I too would go for the P4P !!

We have a couple of Mavics in the club and to be honest apart from its portability - the owners both say they would prefer a P3P or P4 ....
Both are not impressed by the camera ! And its flightiness in any wind ...

Nigel

I agree. I had my mavic for 2 weeks and got rid of it. Stuck with my standard and pro

Wow, I must be one of the only Mavic lovers in the bunch, I wouldn't trade it in for anything. I always have it with me, my other drones require more planning ahead.

Now the University wants me to buy a quadcopter for them (using their money).
So my questions are:
1) Which do you recommend - Phantom 3 or 4?
2) Is the camera that come with them any good? ( like the gimble balance, video quality, etc...)
If it's their money, there's no point messing around with the older machines.
Go straight to the P4 pro, it's far ahead in performance and photographic ability.
It has an exceptionally good camera.
3) My Phantom 2 worked with a GoPro4 and I flew it visually (not using Ipad or Iphone)
Things have advanced far beyond what you are familiar with, you would be crazy to try to fly without a screen.
This is what the operator's view looks like with the app.
Note you have full instruments and camera control
i-5cfZZ9H-L.png

6) Are most of the issues with older phantoms resolved? (like gps issues, losing contact between controller and copter, etc...)
Any other things to consider or things that I need to be aware of? I just got back into updating myself and see there is a object avoidance.
Like I said, things have advanced a long way.
Read this to get an idea of where the technology is at now:
Phantom 4 Pro - Professional aerial filmmaking made easy

Reactions: Numone

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl