Commercial Uses For P3P

Reaction score
Hello all,

We are looking for some advanced solutions for the P3P. We have several clients who have special needs we are trying to fulfill.

· Our client has several very tall smoke stacks. They want us to provide an estimate for inspecting the tops of these stacks on a regular basis. The top of the stacks are approximately 3 feet (1 meter) in diameter. We are being asked to fly a circle around the stack at a distance of 2 to 3 feet (60 to 100 cm). The DJI Go app does not allow a circle this small.

· Another client has a factory with walls made up of prefab concrete slabs 40 feet tall and 30 feet wide. They are joints at a caulk seam. We are being asked to inspect these vertical seams. There are approximately 800 seams to inspect for damage. We are having difficulty getting the P3P to maintain stability as we try to fly vertically up and down these seams quickly.

Does anyone have any ideas for these projects??

For the first client, the smoke stacks, have you tried Litchi? It may take some work to get it right. But, you could possibly do it with setting Waypoints and using in "Heading Mode" the "user control". For this you would not want to use POI's. Also, once the mission is set, you can use it over and over again, of course always watching it.

For the second client, can you explain "maintain stability"? Also, how close do you need to be to the seams to get the proper inspection they require?

Also, are you using an Android or iOS? Thanks.

Hey NRJ,

I was lead to believe the Litchi circle diameter was larger the the Go app. so haven't tried it. Very little documentation on Litchi and I do own it.

On client 2...we started out at about 5 ft alt and started the the ascent and could scarcely keep the P3P w/in 2 feet of the vertical line we were flying up. We were aiming for abt 3 feet out from the wall. I was flying with the bumpers on and thank goodness we did not brush up against anything. But the a/c was just mushy and all over the place.

The wall in certainly steel reinforced and while that will affect the compass, I am unsure what role the compass plays. This was all in P mode!!

Gotta back to drone college and relearn some basics.

Hey NRJ,

I was lead to believe the Litchi circle diameter was larger the the Go app. so haven't tried it. Very little documentation on Litchi and I do own it.

On client 2...we started out at about 5 ft alt and started the the ascent and could scarcely keep the P3P w/in 2 feet of the vertical line we were flying up. We were aiming for abt 3 feet out from the wall. I was flying with the bumpers on and thank goodness we did not brush up against anything. But the a/c was just mushy and all over the place.

The wall in certainly steel reinforced and while that will affect the compass, I am unsure what role the compass plays. This was all in P mode!!

Gotta back to drone college and relearn some basics.

You're right, and I haven't tried doing that small of a circle either, but there was never anything saying it wouldn't do it. Also, you might be able to either use Orbit or Focus. I have played around with them and have done some rather small circles using orbit, although not that small. Might be worth a try if you have a place to practice, like maybe with a trashcan as the smoke stack and see how close you can get to that. It is something that is at eye level and going very slow you may be able to see how close you can get.

For client two, I would use Litchi as well. What you do is set the first way point about 20 feet away. Then fly to where you want to start the ascent. Set the second waypoint. This would be the mission. Start, fly to waypoint 2 (your starting point), then when it reaches it's 2nd waypoint the mission is done and then you tell Litchi when done to hover. Then it should keep it's position as you slowly rise (of course facing towards the inspection area). The GPS should hold its place. You may find you have to experiment a bit, but that may be one way to try it. True too about the steel and the compass. That may pose a problem. But while in F mode, it may be able to handle it.

[EDIT] There is a way to do a basic rise too. To set the exact area, I go to the location and then fly to where the inspection area is and set the 1st waypoint and at the correct height to start the inspection, then fly back and set 2nd way point and save the mission on the tablet. Then you have to use the mission hub to set the higher altitude of wp 2 (completion of the inspection) then, move wp 2 directly over wp 1 using mission hub. In other words, placing wp 2 over wp 1 will cover wp1. Then save it and then check it and set the remaining parameters (like speed etc) in your tablet and save it.

Then run the mission. It will go to the lower 1st waypoint, then fly straight up to the 2nd waypoint. Don't forget to set the direction of the bird towards your inspection area.

Good luck. Post back with your findings or solutions.

Last edited:
Reactions: W2JFI
This is quite remarkable. The mission for the wall inspection would be in one plane. SO the question is: If I have a way point at the base of the wall, could I then place a 2nd way point at the same Lat-Long but at a different altitude? Then I am at the top of the building and I would set another way-point 30 feet down the wall along the top and the next way-point would be the next joint at the top with the following way-point again at the same Lat-Long but at the lower alt at the bottom.

This is like a square wave form...I have attached a drawing below.

If would be ideal if you could "teach the P3P" to repeat a series of actions:

o Turn on Video
o Climb 40 feet
o Turn off video
o Move right 30 feet
o Turn on Video
o Descend 30 feet
o Turn off video

There are probably dozens of applications where these problems might be encountered. If we can create solutions, it could open up lots of revenue streams for us.

There is a BP Petroleum ad, promoting the company and its modern methods. In one very fast segment, they show two workers with a drone, sending it up the side of a tall cylindrical tower of some sort. It obviously can be done.

We are asking a lot to expect the GPS lock to maintain essential motionlessness. At altitude, my videos appear to be from a fixed object and the drone appears to be completely motionless. Near the ground, it acts like a drunken sailor.

Attachments

• squarewavefigure1.jpg
    squarewavefigure1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 284
This is quite remarkable. The mission for the wall inspection would be in one plane. SO the question is: If I have a way point at the base of the wall, could I then place a 2nd way point at the same Lat-Long but at a different altitude? Then I am at the top of the building and I would set another way-point 30 feet down the wall along the top and the next way-point would be the next joint at the top with the following way-point again at the same Lat-Long but at the lower alt at the bottom.

This is like a square wave form...I have attached a drawing below.

If would be ideal if you could "teach the P3P" to repeat a series of actions:

o Turn on Video
o Climb 40 feet
o Turn off video
o Move right 30 feet
o Turn on Video
o Descend 30 feet
o Turn off video

There are probably dozens of applications where these problems might be encountered. If we can create solutions, it could open up lots of revenue streams for us.

There is a BP Petroleum ad, promoting the company and its modern methods. In one very fast segment, they show two workers with a drone, sending it up the side of a tall cylindrical tower of some sort. It obviously can be done.

We are asking a lot to expect the GPS lock to maintain essential motionlessness. At altitude, my videos appear to be from a fixed object and the drone appears to be completely motionless. Near the ground, it acts like a drunken sailor.

You can defiinitely do this mission. You are however limited to 99 waypoints per mission. So, you may need to set up the square wave form with only so many waypoints and then make mission two to continue on from the last mission. What you described above is exactly right and I also think using Litchi will make it much easier to maintain a steady picture than if trying to do it yourself. Also, for the square wave form mission, be sure to turn off "curved turns" in the setup and use "straight lines". The options are limitless with Litchi.

To answer your first question; "If I have a way point at the base of the wall, could I then place a 2nd way point at the same Lat-Long but at a different altitude?" Yes, but you must use the Litchi mission hub to do it because you must create two waypoints first and set all the parameters. Then in the mission hub, you have to drag the 2nd waypoint directly over the 1st waypoint covering the first and release it then save it. This cannot be done in a tablet or cell phone. Or I should say, it cannot be done in the app. If you have not used the mission hub, here is the link below:
https://flylitchi.com/hub
Then once in the hub and you are signed into the hub, you set it up to automatically download to your cell or tablet through WiFi. Then when you open the mission in your tablet, you have a few more options to set in the app such as turn on and off video etc. And again, just to push the point, you can run the mission over and over again once it is setup.

I highly recommend Udemy College (online) which is very inexpensive and has Litchi classes that show you step by step processes to do so many awesome things with litchi. Phantom Filmschool 1 is a great place to start and I think it has the basic rise and how to do it as well as much more. I think the course is around $15.00 or possibly a bit more. Well worth it. It has helped me a lot.

eLearning and Online Training | Udemy for Business

[EDIT] Actually after thinking further about your square wave form, you don't need to drag waypoint 2 over 1. You may have to play with it to to set it up correctly. Just try setting each waypoint in the mission hub, or use your phantom to set the waypoints. In other words, you don't have to fly slow and steady when setting the waypoints with the p3p. Here's my guess. Set your button C1 or C2 to "set wp at AC". Fly to each point of the wave form and press the button to set each waypoint. Then save it on the app. Then when at the office use the mission hub to set all the parameters and save it and then try the mission. Just remember the left toggle switch on the RC must be in F mode (I'm sure you already know this), but after a mission of mine went bad, it headed directly for a tree, I panic'd and forgot to push the toggle button back up to P mode to stop the mission. Thanks.

Last edited:
Along with all my rambling in post #6. I wouldn't worry to much about your AC acting like a drunken sailor. If in GPS and good satellites, and not using "FPV" mode, your gimbal should keep the video or pictures steady.

Brilliant !!! I had considered the Udemy course but had forgotten to pursue it. You have pushed me over the edge!

Brilliant !!! I had considered the Udemy course but had forgotten to pursue it. You have pushed me over the edge!

Good decision on your part. It has helped me a lot to be able to see how to do some things in ways to get great shots and to be able to do things for your business that will bring in the bucks. Best of luck.

We own your kitty's brother...Placido Diego

Awesome. In Norse mythology, Odin was the king of the Æsir. He is a god of war and death, as well as a sky god and the god of wisdom and poetry. I named him after this god of war but long before I got my Phantom. My current P3P is named OdinOne. He has since passed on but he is remembered here. I love it that you have a cat just like him. Cat's are so great. Odin lived to be 17 years of age. I hope Placido brings you many more years of happiness as that is what cats do.

I named my P3P Pegasus after of course the flying horse son of Poseidon and Medusa!

Drone is a name I am trying avoid. Pegasus has some class at least.

Nice. It is how we come to know and love our flying machines, by their names, and we tend for some reason to use the famed names of yesteryear. Great name.

You can tighten the Litchi Loop App up pretty good see below my loop around a small beam antenna. But just watch your speed setting I was able to slow it down in video software.

I suggest researching into http://djiultimateflight.com it is a fantastic tool for serious work and has great support too

Nice app cadm8 but it's only for Androids right now [emoji576]

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl