Commercial Use

jpd

Reaction score
So I've been thinking of starting a small business, you know really small stuff filming action sports, reality and piggybacking of my wife's photography business to film weddings for her. I looked into it and it turns out I'm required to get a pilots license, if you didn't know yes an actual license to fly small planes. Why??
I can see having us take a class or get some type of certificate but **** I don't want to fly planes nor do I have the extra 12,000 dollars it takes to get one where I live. Does any one else have issues with this??
Your can someone who has gone thru this and has gotten their pilots license please tell me how this would benefit me in the drone field?
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Wait a bit. The FAA is thinking about changing the rules with the 333 exemption.

You r totally right. You can start by asking for the FAA exception. The approval will take around 120 days. In the meantime, let's hope they will create a new regulation where you need a certificate or a test to handle your small device. It does not make sense to ask for a pilot license just to fly a sort of a toy.

Since my purpose is to use my P3P for shooting pictures for clients, I will be flying part of the time commercially. The link provided above references some changes occurring in March. Wasn't clear if you still need a 333 or not?

Also, if you register first as a personal user, is it an issue to change it to commercial. Sorry if my terms are appropriate for this purpose.

Thanks

If you are doing ANY kind of commercial work, yes, you need the 333 Exemption and still a pilot license. Sell a video to your neighbor, $10,000 fine if you're not legal. But you only need a Sport Pilot License. Where I live that's still $4,000 to get that. Stupid FAA, I swear.

Reactions: Roverggm
I have heard so many dates thrown out there I have no idea when FAA is planning to finally act on this. March would be nice. But I've also heard "Sometime in 2017" so who knows...

Reactions: Omniround
The perceived income doesn't justify $4000. Maybe things will change in March?
Which March? This one? Or the next one?

The FAA is taking "Think three times, measure twice, cut once" to new heights, so to speak.....

I had read that March 31 changes would be implemented. Maybe what I read is no longer true? I am new to this so I didn't know better.

My March reference came from the following quote:

"
Earlier today, the FAA released their rule for registering drones. This has gotten a lot of media attention for its impact on consumer drone operation and sales over the holiday season, but an often overlooked aspect is the impact that this rule will have on businesses operating drones. Right now, the new registration system does not support registering drones for business use. However, the full registration rule (available here) is 210 pages long, and contains numerous references to what using a drone for business will actually look like.

Key Takeaways for Businesses
  • Starting March 31, 2016, this will effectively replace N-number registration for commercial UAS
  • Business registration will be by individual aircraft, not by company or pilot
  • The registration fee for companies will be $5 per aircraft
  • There is no information on individual pilot licensing requirements
  • Penalties for flying an unregistered aircraft can be as high as $250,000

That questions must have been for someone else although you quoted me?

I was looking at your site and noticed you had aerial photography listed, I've recently applied for my section 333 and was curious how long the process took you?

Omniround, LLC Virtual Tour and Panoramic Services Include
  • 360X180 degree virtual tours
  • Aerial Photography

Ah ha..now I see what you meant. That was partly due to ignorance on my part. As long as I don't charge for the aerial photography or I hire a pilot, I am fine, and in the meantime, I am hoping the rules will change later this month or in June. Since I don't have a drone yet, I hired a drone pilot for my last project. I don't claim to be the pilot or to have a 333. I can offer the service and be legit if someone with a 333 does the shoot. Many people offer services they contract out. Best of luck with your application.

Shucks, I was hoping someone local could give some guidance on timeframe based on experience :(, should be fun, it's been about a month, although i expect minimum of 90 day, but of course hoping it would be quicker......

I am wondering if you could check the applications and figure out when they were submitted and when they were approved. Will keep you in mind if I need to hire a "legal" pilot. I was very disappointed with the guys I hired.

While on the subject, how is posting an aerial video on YouTube that earns money different than being paid to do an aerial video? Whether you are paid at the time of the shoot vs. over years afterwards so much different?

So I've been thinking of starting a small business, you know really small stuff filming action sports, reality and piggybacking of my wife's photography business to film weddings for her. I looked into it and it turns out I'm required to get a pilots license, if you didn't know yes an actual license to fly small planes. Why??
I can see having us take a class or get some type of certificate but **** I don't want to fly planes nor do I have the extra 12,000 dollars it takes to get one where I live. Does any one else have issues with this??
Your can someone who has gone thru this and has gotten their pilots license please tell me how this would benefit me in the drone field?
Thank you

FYI: I have been informed by middle of this summer the 333 exemption rule will change and we may only have to take a test on NAS National Air Space this is to confirm they
UAS operators know how to fly and what altitude to we fly at .

Who cares? Be safe and do it anyway. That's my advice. I use mine daily for my roofing business and promote heavily on fb. No problem.

No problem.
Until some asshat reports you. I'm with you, I hope the FAA changes there rules soon. I am waiting for a 333 exemption and currently in the process of getting my PPL, actually my pilot studies extend since last year...the 333 just made it a priority for me to finish this as soon as possible.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj