Commercial License Questions!

Reaction score
I have recently started to get offers from realtors in my area to take aerial videos of houses for sale and editing the video in exchange for money. I don't have a Commercial License so I was wondering. If I made lets say a realtor package deal, where basically realtors only pay for my editing service and I'll throw in free aerial videos of the properties. So I'm getting paid for editing not for taking the aerial videos, would I be okay? or would I still need a Commercial License.

I have recently started to get offers from realtors in my area to take aerial videos of houses for sale and editing the video in exchange for money. I don't have a Commercial License so I was wondering. If I made lets say a realtor package deal, where basically realtors only pay for my editing service and I'll throw in free aerial videos of the properties. So I'm getting paid for editing not for taking the aerial videos, would I be okay? or would I still need a Commercial License.
It is easier than ever to get a commercial license now. I would advise you to not attempt to skirt the law as I believe the FAA will be bringing the hammer down on some people now that the laws have made a commercial license more obtainable. How have you had realtors offer you money for your services? I am just curious how you are getting the offers.

It is easier than ever to get a commercial license now. I would advise you to not attempt to skirt the law as I believe the FAA will be bringing the hammer down on some people now that the laws have made a commercial license more obtainable. How have you had realtors offer you money for your services? I am just curious how you are getting the offers.
How easy is it to get a commercial license? What's the process to get it?
About your question, I just started to upload videos on youtube. I would record 10 minutes of footage, edit and upload it in the same day (in total about 2-3 hours). I showed some friends and some of them had family/friend realtors, and I just started to get offers. Nothing huge but I mean it's honestly easy money for something I love.

In Aus all we have to do to use a small drone commercially is get a registration number from CASA
I just got mine - no cost.
Supposedly these regs are going to be adopted internationally.
All depends on the weight of your drone.
If it's over 2kgs it's stricter

Reactions: Loz
The old only paying for video editing excuse gets repeated all the time on forums but it's never going to fool the FAA.
They might be dumb ... but not that dumb.

Look into the Part 107 mentioned above and go that route.
Meantime, the FAA has shown no interest in chasing people for doing a little commercial use without an exemption.
Although many people have been blatantly doing commercial use "illegally" the FAA has not charged anyone for it.
If you just do a few on the side while you work towards your 107, and don't do anything stupid you probably won't have any problems.

Part 107 is a real breakthrough for drone pilots looking to do work with their drones. While it may not be ideal, IMHO, the FAA has made a real honest attempt to work the issue for us. It will be in all of our best interest to reciprocate and work with them to follow these new rules and to in courage others to do so too.

Reactions: Falcon900
In Aus all we have to do to use a small drone commercially is get a registration number from CASA
I just got mine - no cost.
Supposedly these regs are going to be adopted internationally.
All depends on the weight of your drone.
If it's over 2kgs it's stricter

I'm in Aus too with a sub 2kg drone. How can I get my registration number?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

The new airman certification for commercial drone pilots is really quite a good deal. In exchange for you learning some reasonably important stuff, the FAA will issue you a certificate to make money with your UAS without all the restrictions of the old 333 exemptions.

My only recommendation is that people get in the queue at either CATS or Lasergrade. Each testing center can only administer a smallish number of tests each day. I'm pretty sure a long waiting list on testing dates is right around the corner. Both companies have websites. If you're going to take the test, get on their list.

I spoke with a public relations rep for the National Association of Realtors (NAR) a couple of weeks ago and they are going to "Strongly Suggest" that all Realtors insist that the companies they work with are in compliance with any and all FAA and State regulations. She said they expect their Realtors to follow all laws and regulations and as such they also expect anyone they do business with to be held to the same high standards.

At one point they were toying with the idea of requiring the Realtor to provide proof that any pictures they submit to MLS were from a company that is compliant with all current regulations. I "think" that fell to the way side of things but it was a consideration several months ago.

Basically if you're going to be doing this for ANY form of compensation you need to step up and do it right. August 29th is right around the corner and at that time Part 107 becomes REAL. As such operating commercially w/o it has very REAL consequences and repercussions. Don't be "that guy" because a few hundred bucks isn't worth the problems and negative press.

Reactions: N42742
The ONLY way (in light of comments and such from the last year) I can see YouTube being a problem is if the YouTube video is promoting a company/business/product. Simply taking videos and posting them on YouTube (even if you monetize them) was declared "Ok" last year or early this year.

But that doesn't mean that if you have a business and you post YouTube videos promoting yours or another business you get away with it. ANYTHING that could be considering furthering of a business is considered commercial.

what about insurance?

what about insurance?
It's not required by the FAA but many clients will require it on your higher end jobs (The ones that pay well).

It's not required by the FAA but many clients will require it on your higher end jobs (The ones that pay well).

what are some rates for that? is there a thread on here that discusses it a bit more?

The ONLY way (in light of comments and such from the last year) I can see YouTube being a problem is if the YouTube video is promoting a company/business/product. Simply taking videos and posting them on YouTube (even if you monetize them) was declared "Ok" last year or early this year.

But that doesn't mean that if you have a business and you post YouTube videos promoting yours or another business you get away with it. ANYTHING that could be considering furthering of a business is considered commercial.
Not sure
It says "in some cases" but doesn't say which cases

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20