'Coming Home' Orientaion

Reaction score
How many of you fly home 'backwards' as opposed to turning the nose towards you and fly home?

Is there a option that allows you to come home backwards? Like NAZA mode and pull down on right lever?

I was thinking more along the lines as when it's time to come home by piloting do you turn the nose toward you?

When I started flying I'd always keep the pointing away from me so the phantom movement would correspond with the right control stick. Now that I'm confident with the bird, I mostly fly in ATTI mode with nose pointing in the direction of travel, unless I'm shooting video. In my opinion you become a better pilot, plus I think you feel more "as one" with the bird than if you're just flying it in the direction of the stick.

Depends. I find beginners fly facing away from the pilot almost exclusively, since piloting with stick at reversed or off-side orientation can be very confusing.

Once you are comfortable with controls, you fly whatever way works for you, whether nose in or side in, if you're filming a pan, etc...

Folks who fly fpv almost exclusively fly nose-in :)

I fly nose toward me when coming home. I usually look at the radar to see which way the Phantom is facing and I find it easiest to push the right stick up and always know that will make the Phantom head in the direction the radar is pointing.

msinger said:
I fly nose toward me when coming home. I usually look at the radar to see which way the Phantom is facing and I find it easiest to push the right stick up and always know that will make the Phantom head in the direction the radar is pointing.

Exactly what I do. I also make note of the radar and the clock position of the nose right at the beginning of the flight. By this I mean I want to get the orientation of the quad(for ex. facing 2:00) with battery toward me). This allows me to always know how to orient the quad if it is too far out for me to tell which way it is pointing.

I wasn't even aware that I was flying nose-in till one day it hit me: hey, I'm flying nose-in! I guess somewhere along the way I'd made the mental switch; I'm no longer a third party flying the copter, I am the copter.

I think what helped was that, short of experimenting with it a little, I never really used Course Lock. It's useful sure, but it also delays the moment when you become the copter.

Just use the NAZA + IOC. Flick to home lock and pull the direction (right) stick back. Doesn't matter which the phantom is facing. Just be careful when it gets with 10m range. It will revert back to Course Lock. I usually switch back to normal mode when in visual range and have sight of the battery for hand catch. This makes orienteering easier in the event of an emergency. Last thing you want to do is confuse yourself and lose an eyebrow.

I Always Fly Direction Of The UAV. Eg Always Forward Unless I Am Following Something In Front, Eg Dogs Running, Car's Etc.

I fly nose to me on return but I turn it around when i come into land.

This is why I would love to have a simulator that I could use to practice this in a safe environment.

Because I am don't have confidence that I won't hit the stick the wrong way and end up where i should not.

its the last few feet

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4