Come Fly with me? Vancouver BC

Reaction score
Hey all! I am a professional Biologist in Vancouver BC Canada. I am looking to use a phantom 2 vision + to do some frog egg mass surveys. I was hoping to hire a pilot who would be interested in helping me out. I have never seen it used for this application, or with this very endangered species, and would like to make sure it is appropriate for my use. I would need about 5-7 days of you/your phantoms time. As per the frog and the phantom, only days when it is not raining, and between next week and the end of march. This work will be around water, so a confident pilot is a must. If you want to have some fun looking for endangered species with me and earn a bit of extra coin please send me an email. [email protected]

Hi Andrea .. love to help but probably too far away for you to pay my airfare.
One issue you might have to deal with is GPS coverage.
Do your frogs lay in areas with a nice wide open sky or with a lot of cover from trees etc?
Without a good open sky and good satellite reception, piloting a Phantom is not going to be as easy.

:lol:
You're looking for frogs with a quadcopter sporting a wide angle lens? :shock: How big are they?

Egg masses? Maybe small RC submarine would be better.

Hi All! I have seen the phantom visions used for some marsh surveys so i think it should be appropriate, but id like to get in the field and give it a try myself to be sure (limited $ to spend on tech if it doesnt work I would have explaining to do!) The egg masses are not big, about the size of a grapefruit, but they lay many egg masses together. If I can fly low enough I should be able to spot them...from the online

The areas are pretty open and we could definately get to the edge of the open areas to get a clearer view. The frogs generally lay in areas we shouldnt have a problem accessing, they like warm water so they are often in the sun and not covered by vegetation. The areas are sometimes in remote locations with poor cell reception...but I think GPS reception would be ok (I never have problems with my handheld gps).

The frogs eggs are visible on the surface of the water, the tops are at least partially exposed. A sub wouldnt work as the water is often quite shallow and silty, so you would not get a good underwater view or access.

Im hoping for a result similar to this:
http://thescientistvideographer.com/wor ... -research/

The quads put out quite a bit of rotor wash, will that scatter the eggs? :eek:

I dont think rotor wash will be a problem, the eggs are pretty firmly attached together. For example our traditional method of searching invlolves approach by kayak and then getting out and walking around the eggs on foot, which is quite disruptive but the eggs still stay together in clumps.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj