Color Grading Plug-ins for Sony Movie Studio

Reaction score
Anyone using Sony Movie Studio to color correct/grade their phantom video? If so, are you using plug-ins to help since Movie Studio doesn't work with LUTs? Would love to get some recommendations. I really like shooting in LOG on my P3P, but don't want to spend all afternoon attempting to grade the footage (not my specialty).

Reactions: MKurr
Do yourself a favor and download Sony's Catalyst Browse. Take the time to figure it out and you'll be blown away by the footage you'll get out of your Phantom Pro. Best of all, it's free.

-- tom

Do yourself a favor and download Sony's Catalyst Browse. Take the time to figure it out and you'll be blown away by the footage you'll get out of your Phantom Pro. Best of all, it's free.

-- tom
This looks very promising! Thanks for the reco. Question- settings do you start with in the Color space adjustment section for SOURCE and CONVERT TO? I'm hoping to get in the ball park with the P3's log footage.

This looks very promising! Thanks for the reco. Question- settings do you start with in the Color space adjustment section for SOURCE and CONVERT TO? I'm hoping to get in the ball park with the P3's log footage.

I bring it into browse sourced as S-Log1 and grade in Log. Make sure you are watching your scopes. Play around with brightness and contrast for starters. LOG allows a much greater dynamic range that the camera sees compared to what regular color spaces allow. I'm not familiar with the limitation of Movie Studio, but use Sony Vegas. You can ouput in XAVC and bring it into Vegas for further editing. Not sure if MS uses XAVC. Make sure you save your settings in Browse so you can load them again.

Of course, you can just straight out from Browse as Mp4, also.

--tom

Reactions: 2nd2non
I bring it into browse sourced as S-Log1 and grade in Log. Make sure you are watching your scopes. Play around with brightness and contrast for starters. LOG allows a much greater dynamic range that the camera sees compared to what regular color spaces allow. I'm not familiar with the limitation of Movie Studio, but use Sony Vegas. You can ouput in XAVC and bring it into Vegas for further editing. Not sure if MS uses XAVC. Make sure you save your settings in Browse so you can load them again.

Of course, you can just straight out from Browse as Mp4, also.

--tom
Excellent advice. I took some log footage from yesterday and started playing around with it. Looks like I can start building presets based on certain shots/lighting conditions. This is great once I create the optimal settings with my critical eye. [emoji36]
Do you happen to have any cinematic grayish preset files worth sharing?

There does not seem to be any other reference to others using Sony catalyst in this forum. I only hear about premier, FCPX or davinci.
Come on Sony users!!! Chime in. Share your tips for post pro in catalyst!!!

Does anyone have presets which they would like to share for using log footage with Sony Vegas?
Thanks!

I would highly suggest getting Sony Catalyst (free) and doing your color grading there. Then output into a suitable file format for editing in Vegas. XAVC intra works very well. If you're doing lots of work consider investing in Catalyst Prepare for correcting and logging your footage. B&H usually has the best price.

-- zigs

Could I use DaVinci Resolve for color grading and then use Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 or Vice Versa?

Could I use DaVinci Resolve for color grading and then use Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 or Vice Versa?
I know very little about Resolve other than knowing many use it and seem to like it. I don't know why you couldn't. I'm sure it would output a file format that is compatible with Movie Studio. However, at that point why even use Movie Studio? Just do your work in Resolve. Movie Studio is a subset of Vegas and things such as color management are somewhat limited. Where Vegas and Movie Studio shine are intuitiveness, ease of editing and audio control.

-- zigs

Just found this thread.... Glad there is other good color grading software out there besides resolve....

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic