Color Correcting and Grading your P3 Footage V2

This was my first attempt and fixing color on just a bunch of test footage. I had a SRP 16/8 grad ND filter on for all these shots. I used FCP, though. I think the biggest challenge for me is that it looks different on every computer. So I never know what I'm supposed to be shooting for.

Ignoring the actual content, does the color look OK to you in the video below? I feel like some of the shots still look a little oversaturated and I feel some scenes need to have brighter at the high end of the spectrum. (but again, it looks totally fine on some screens)

Rothgarr, looks really good, color grading is excellent and the composition is nice. Nicely done. A very super minor nit, is I may have reduced the exposure very slightly in some of the clips near the end, but still good to go as is. Music is quite nice.

Alan

Thanks. As for that last scene, I set my levels when I started an hour or two earlier. I should get into the habit of checking at every scene.

I shot some footage this weekend without using the ND filter, I wish I had used it -- it really does make a difference.

Another thing I really need to learn is the difference between shutter speed and ISO. Right now I randomly slide them left and right until the histogram levels don't touch the sides. But I have no idea how they relate or which I should use as a target for different lighting conditions. As I understand it, shutter speed isn't supposed to be more than twice the framerate or something?

Thanks fhagan02, I love your videos and tutorials very informative! I had been very disappointed with my videos wondering what I was doing wrong. I am a newb and don't know much about photography much less videography. Your videos have really helped and I have been able to rescue some of my videos with the help of your tutorials.

I have a couple of questions for you.

First- For a college student with a family on a tight budget, if I was only going to get one ND filter which is most universal and should I get (and is there a preferred brand).

Secondly, I downloaded the free version of davinci resolve 12 for my color correction/grading. When I try to adjust the scopes and get the "Z" shape it won't do it, goes to more of an "S" shape and does not have good results. So basically I am having a little difficult time translating from your program to davinci. Are you familiar with davinci? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I will have to post some before and after videos using your tips and tricks.

Thanks again.

This was my first attempt and fixing color on just a bunch of test footage. I had a SRP 16/8 grad ND filter on for all these shots. I used FCP, though. I think the biggest challenge for me is that it looks different on every computer. So I never know what I'm supposed to be shooting for.

Ignoring the actual content, does the color look OK to you in the video below? I feel like some of the shots still look a little oversaturated and I feel some scenes need to have brighter at the high end of the spectrum. (but again, it looks totally fine on some screens)

Wonderful job. What you've done here is an excellent example of "color correction". Everything looks real, vibrant and true to the eye. You didn't push the contrast too much so your blacks still have definition within them. Your skies are good with no blown out white clouds. Nice job indeed. I'd like to see what you could do as far as "color grading" these shots. Give them a more moody, desaturated or over saturated feel. Regardless...very nice work here.

Reactions: turkminator
Thanks. As for that last scene, I set my levels when I started an hour or two earlier. I should get into the habit of checking at every scene.

I shot some footage this weekend without using the ND filter, I wish I had used it -- it really does make a difference.

Another thing I really need to learn is the difference between shutter speed and ISO. Right now I randomly slide them left and right until the histogram levels don't touch the sides. But I have no idea how they relate or which I should use as a target for different lighting conditions. As I understand it, shutter speed isn't supposed to be more than twice the framerate or something?

If you've not yet seen this tutorial I put together, give it a spin. It'll explain some of the questions you're asking about shutter speed and ISO.

Optimally you want you ISO to always be as low as possible. As with any video camera the higher the ISO the higher the noise will be in your footage. I rarely shoot above ISO400. Beyond 400 it's just too much noise that's introduced to the shots. ISO 100-200 is perfect. And yes for good looking cinematic motion you're shutter speed should be twice your frame rate. (check out the video above) So if you're shooting at 24fps your shutter speed should be 50. On super bright days you'll need an ND filter to reduce the light enough to get the shutter speed down to a manageable rate. Without an ND on a sunny day your shutter speed may need to go as high as 1500 for a proper expose. That is WAY too high for professional looking footage. You're motion will have a studdery, strobe-like look instead of smooth and organic motion. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Jogle and Rothgarr
One of the easiest 'natural grading' methods is to shoot during the 'golden hours'. I too struggle with brightness settings due to looking different on various screens. Don't have a solution, but try to avoid crushing blacks on any screen. Right now I use my 4K TV set to Movie mode as the basis for my corrections since I view and share this with guests. This also typically lines up well with mobile devices but not computer screens.

Thanks fhagan02, I love your videos and tutorials very informative! I had been very disappointed with my videos wondering what I was doing wrong. I am a newb and don't know much about photography much less videography. Your videos have really helped and I have been able to rescue some of my videos with the help of your tutorials.

I have a couple of questions for you.

First- For a college student with a family on a tight budget, if I was only going to get one ND filter which is most universal and should I get (and is there a preferred brand).

Secondly, I downloaded the free version of davinci resolve 12 for my color correction/grading. When I try to adjust the scopes and get the "Z" shape it won't do it, goes to more of an "S" shape and does not have good results. So basically I am having a little difficult time translating from your program to davinci. Are you familiar with davinci? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I will have to post some before and after videos using your tips and tricks.

Thanks again.
Thanks for your kind words, jggraham. For a tight budget I'd go with PhantomFilters.com. This guy is great and these are very affordable. They're inserts that you place inside the stock UV filter. If you want to spend a little more I'd recommend the PolarPro's. If you can olny get one for the time being.... definitely go for the ND8. It's right there in the middle and won't be too dark for overcast, dusk or dawn shots.

I'm sorry I don't know enough about DiVinci Resolve to comment and I don't want to give advise about something I'm not 100% sure about it. What I am sure about is that DiVinci (even the free download version) is a quality app and I'm sure there's a way to get what you're looking for. Hopefully someone else will chime in and give suggestions.

Rothgarr - what software is that your using?
I'm using FCP. I bought it about a month ago -- I wish I had tried a demo of Premier before spending the $299 on FCP. I see some crazy amazing stuff done in Premier -- who knows, maybe it's possible in FCP, I think I only scrathed the surface

One of the easiest 'natural grading' methods is to shoot during the 'golden hours'. I too struggle with brightness settings due to looking different on various screens. Don't have a solution, but try to avoid crushing blacks on any screen. Right now I use my 4K TV set to Movie mode as the basis for my corrections since I view and share this with guests. This also typically lines up well with mobile devices but not computer screens.
Ditto all this. This is another reason way being able to "read the scopes" will help your footage translate well to all viewing devices.

Wonderful job. What you've done here is an excellent example of "color correction". Everything looks real, vibrant and true to the eye. You didn't push the contrast too much so your blacks still have definition within them. Your skies are good with no blown out white clouds. Nice job indeed. I'd like to see what you could do as far as "color grading" these shots. Give them a more moody, desaturated or over saturated feel. Regardless...very nice work here.
Wow, thank you! I still have a TON to learn and it's great to watch your amazing tutorials, even if I can't use follow the steps directly in FCP.

I'll check out the other vid you posted, too.

Wow, thank you! I still have a TON to learn and it's great to watch your amazing tutorials, even if I can't use follow the steps directly in FCP.

I'll check out the other vid you posted, too.
I have a TON to learn too. FCP is a great app. With some poking around I'm sure you figure out the same techniques. I try to talk about widely used and accepted standard color correction, editing techniques, tools and color theory. So hopefully the information applies across all platforms. Who cares if you can "do" something in Premiere if you can't "do it" with anything else right? I'll look forward to seeing more of your work.

Reactions: Rothgarr
Fred:

Once again you help the masses get better with their video footage.
Thanks for the very detailed tutorials!

***Edited***
So sorry to hear about your Bird falling out of the sky! That is a real bummer, and I hope that DJI gets you fixed up in a timely manner!!

You have gone above and beyond

~ Wojohowiz

Last edited:
Speaking of nd filters... Do you guys ever use them when taking still images?

I keep my SRP filter on all the time only because it's a pain to switch. But I get a slight vignette when taking pics. Just curious what you guys do.

Speaking of nd filters... Do you guys ever use them when taking still images?

I keep my SRP filter on all the time only because it's a pain to switch. But I get a slight vignette when taking pics. Just curious what you guys do.
I use to do this, but found its better to plan either video shoots OR still photos, not both. You want higher shutter for stills to enable sharp details. If sharpness and details are not an issue to you for stills, then you can probably keep the filter on. If you shoot in 16x9, you don't get vignette. You can also crop the 4x3 image in post.

Reactions: Rothgarr
I have a TON to learn too. FCP is a great app. With some poking around I'm sure you figure out the same techniques. I try to talk about widely used and accepted standard color correction, editing techniques, tools and color theory. So hopefully the information applies across all platforms. Who cares if you can "do" something in Premiere if you can't "do it" with anything else right? I'll look forward to seeing more of your work.

Color Finale which is probably the best color grading plug-in I have come across allows you to do what Mr. Hagan did in his tutorial. FCPX's built-in color board is so unintuitive and tough to color grade with.

I am not sure if Mr. Hagan has come across this issue on FCPX.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20