Color Blindness, can't see Yellow or Green

Reaction score
My friend purchased a P2 and now finds his color blindness is preventing him from flying. He can't tell the difference between Yellow and Green. He is OK with red.

I can't imagine a solution, but there are a lot of smart folks here, so thought I would ask. Any ideas how he might be able to determine if the P2 is ready to fly, when calibration was successful, etc.

richparry said:
My friend purchased a P2 and now finds his color blindness is preventing him from flying. He can't tell the difference between Yellow and Green. He is OK with red.

I can't imagine a solution, but there are a lot of smart folks here, so thought I would ask. Any ideas how he might be able to determine if the P2 is ready to fly, when calibration was successful, etc.

Most of the time, it's differentiating between green/red and yellow/red that's most important. He can probably distinguish between most important green and yellow signal, but would have to pay attention to his controller switch to know if he was in GPS or ATTI during flight, and compass calibration would be a problem.

One potential solution would be to place a very small gel over the green element on the LED emitter (we're talking a 1mm square area. I assume by changing that to a different color he would be able to distinguish between new color and new color + red.

Another would be to unsolder the LED and replace it with a different two-element emitter. Maybe red and blue, with yellow becoming purple.

Yet another would be something similar to what I did with my F450 here:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXzS2CtT8N4[/youtube]

Intercept the red/green signals from the NAZA and map them to new addressable LEDs. You can change them to any 24-bit color, have them run different patterns for different colors, etc.

He could try getting hold of some of those disposable 3D glasses with the red and blue lenses to see if that made the yellow and green flashes into two colours that he could see? :idea:

Could you not change the colour on the Led's to a colour he can see ? I'm sure it would be a simple mod

Reactions: claws
I am red green color blind, and this is making me rethink purchasing a Phantom. It would be great if DJI could provide an alternate system for the 8%!

As I just posted to a similar thread, my son-in-law acquired a test pair of glasses that allow him to pass all the color blindness tests easily. Without the glasses, he failed most all of them. They are NOT the 3D glasses.

With some simple research on the old interweb, I have located glasses that claim to work by "removing the wavelengths of light where overlap is occurring between the red and green cone cells, the spectral shift can be reversed, amplifying the color signal sent to the brain. The result is that colors appear to be brighter and more pure'

Interesting. Expensive.

See this thread for my solution to green/yellow lights:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/green-yellow-status-lights-tricks-for-color-blind.39497/

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl