Color blind - can LED lights be changed out?

Reaction score
Just got my P2VP four days ago, have had 8 uneventful flights to date. Only problem I'm having is that being color blind, I can't tell the difference between the yellow and green lights; they look exactly the same. Thankfully my wife has been by my side for all of my flights and has given me the 'okay' for GPS lock and liftoff.

Have any of you replaced the lights or heard of it being done? Don't get me wrong; I treasure my wife, but I can't keep her in my carry case with the spare batteries and blades. If I could throw a blue light in place of the green or yellow, I'd have my independence back.

Thanks all

vaifan said:
Just got my P2VP four days ago, have had 8 uneventful flights to date. Only problem I'm having is that being color blind, I can't tell the difference between the yellow and green lights; they look exactly the same. Thankfully my wife has been by my side for all of my flights and has given me the 'okay' for GPS lock and liftoff.

Have any of you replaced the lights or heard of it being done? Don't get me wrong; I treasure my wife, but I can't keep her in my carry case with the spare batteries and blades. If I could throw a blue light in place of the green or yellow, I'd have my independence back.

Thanks all

They are not discrete LEDs, it is a multi-LED module mounted to the underside of the ESC Below is a photo that was posted earlier:

file.php

vaifan said:
Why don't you just watch the number of satellites on the display? When there are 7 or more (solid) the light is green.

I am in the exact same boat. I can't tell the difference between yellow and green. I have compensated by making sure I have 7 sats min. I also check the find my vision to make sure the home point has been correctly established, in addition to making sure my radar aligns correctly. Flying in NAZA mode gives you a lot more control, so when I take off, after checking for stable hover and basic controls, I fly out 50 yards or so and flip the S2 switch back and check my home point alignment. Once I first get airborne, it takes me about 1 min. to get comfortable with my scene. I would imagine that even with good color vision in bright sunlight those light would be hard to see. BTW, once it gets down to 30% battery left, I can't even see the % left on my iPhone. Flying this thing color blind is challenging, but you can compensate.

Good luck!

Cocoa Beach Kiter said:
DB... You gotta fill us in.. A light saber collection?

Hmmm...way back in the early 2000's I was in Best Buy one day when I heard the unmistakable hum of lightsabers clashing. I turned around to see a couple of kids duking it out with a red & blue set of Master Replicas ForceFX lightsabers. Sequenced power-up/power-down, authentic sound, the clash, etc..so cool! Being a techie sort and a long time Stars Wars fan, I immediately found them in the store and bought one of each. Over the next year I bought the entire collection...I think 12 in all...at about $100 each. The blades were illuminated by 64 LEDs that powered on and off sequentially, giving you the extending/retracting saber effect. These were cool, and you could duel lightly. If you strike something hard, or bang them long enough, the LED connections eventually break and you get a dead spot. Mine are all mint stored safely in their boxes, sans the few I broke and replaced. You can still buy these, but now they are made by Hasbro.

I wanted something I could duel with and I started looking around, eventually settling on Park's Sabers. Park's had awesome designs, and you could bang them until your heart was content without breaking them. They ranged in price from $275-550, and it took THREE MONTHS to get them! I had ordered my twelfth before the first one arrived. They look awesome, but I wasn't happy. The blades were electo-luminescent, no sequenced lighting, and much dimmer than the ForceFX blades. They were also much thinner...about half the thickness which looked odd. Worst of all, no sound. There were no soundboards save the ones that came in the licensed ForceFX sabers. So I had all of these cool looking sabers that you could actually duel with, but they were just disappointing. I still have them, and may have some retrofitted to newer technology.

The Saber Drawer:

DSC00257.JPG

My interests waned for a time as I messed with RC, bought a couple of computerized Meade telescopes, played around with a lady (or two), etc.. A couple of years ago I heard of some new soundboards and some incredibly cool sabers, but they were custom-made, not really duel-able, like $3000-5000, and took up to a year to get! Fortunately I stumbled upon UltraSabers. UltraSabers makes very cool, totally duel-worthy, super-bright LED illuminated sabers, with great soundboards, authentic sounds that you can customize, and even cool stuff like pulsing blades, flash-on-clash, etc.. They run around $400-550 loaded the way you would want them, and I currently have 19 of them. There are a few more I would like to get, but the Phantom has my attention at the moment. Check out http://www.ultrasabers.com for an idea of what they offer, and look for Ultrasabers on YouTube for videos with sound, flash-on-clash, etc..

Not sure if this video will work:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/...AAAABYM/AnZi0e2Wk84/w801-h452-no/IMAG1486.jpg

IMAG1286.jpg

IMAG1284.jpg

IMAG1263.jpg

IMAG1353.jpg

IMAG1283.jpg

IMAG1359.jpg

IMAG1432.jpg

IMAG1433.jpg

This one is a white LED with a green Gel filter. Trying to match Ahsoka's saber color from Clone Wars:

IMAG1494.jpg

http://www.leefilters.com/lighting/led-02.html

This company appears to specialize in filters for LED. If they don't have anything that works, I imagine if you give them a call that one of their techs would have an idea to help you out, should you explain your circumstance. Maybe just don't mention it's for a drone, so they don't blow you off.

Thanks for all of the tips and the entertaining lightsaber discussion (quite badass). Good to know that if I have locked onto 7+ satellites, I'm good to go.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik