Colin Guin interviewed by We are change.

Reaction score
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xHckL46EMY[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7h8x28rKMg[/youtube]

Really informative interview. I am glad Guinn was the interviewee. He comes off as very educated and well informed on the issues.

I came away with a better understanding of the issues out there, and will hopefully not put myself into a situation that could cause concern. Common sense, and respect for others.

Eric

I completely agree. For instance the new firmware has a "ceiling" of 400 feet. Above that altitude, the FAA controls the airspace and as a pilot, I would be happy to know that somebody carelessly flying a Phantom is not in jeopardizing my life.

Hahaha...... 03:35 yeah right. He means "Let me just check with our corporate counsel whether I can say anything or not"

Also interesting that if they have brought in the limit feature in v4.00 to ensure that certain regulation can be adhered to in certain countries and jurisdictions you would think they would actually fix the **** bug in it otherwise they run the risk in any lawsuit being pulled in as a third party contributor to the laws being broken in that country since their firmware did not work as advertised and that's what caused the breach of regulation/statute.

He is a very educated man. I will say i am simply obsessed with this technology but the laws and legal wrangling that happens behind closed doors fascinates me even more.

I have already begun to take steps to position myself to be able to meet with legislators and try to influence bills in favor of some sort of regulation but most importantly doing some real fact finding which they never really do unless they are certain the facts will only help build a one sided case.

The problem with our current regulations/or non regulations is the guys who have to write the bills have no idea what a Phantom is, what megapixels are, what a usb connection is so lol for them to come up with something that makes sense to both sides is a pretty big pill for most of these guys to swallow.

So i see lots of room for subject matter experts (Colin Guin) to play a pretty substantial role in iinfluencing just about all legislation regarding flying UAS'

What i have also found is there have already been thousands of complaints just in LA county alone of people feeling thier privacy was violated or having their safety put in jeopardy so what happens is local authorities now have to respond to those complaints and what will likely happen is the response is one sided simply to make the complaintants go away and STFU because the authorities for the most part could care less because they dont understand any of this "stuff" anyway.

So we need to be loud in a very positive way and continue to show the artisitc value of being able to fly a UAS' and at the end of the day you should not have to be an artist to fly a Phantom, meaning you should not have to justify why you want to fly but you should be cognizant of sensitive areas that should not be flown in.

This guy is well-spoken. I like having him in our corner. We need to better publicize positive stories like the one he told about the CNN Phantom helping SWAT. The negative stories, like some moron crashing his Phantom in Manhattan, get plenty of attention.

The Don said:
This guy is well-spoken. I like having him in our corner. We need to better publicize positive stories like the one he told about the CNN Phantom helping SWAT. The negative stories, like some moron crashing his Phantom in Manhattan, get plenty of attention.

and 1

Ummm... Mr Guinn is an ex reality TV show contestant back in 2004 and before that he was a cell phone salesman working for himself! Not sure either really qualify him as educated or intelligent but each to his own.

I personally put him in the same category as a used car saleman :roll:

Anyhoo, he always seems to be introduced as DJI's CEO which of course he isn't as that mantle goes to Mr Tao Wang in China.
Nor is he business development manager as that honour is Charles Cao. He can't be classed as Marketing director as that is Swift Xie (notice a trend here... they're all in China). So that leaves him with the dubious title of "Chief Innovations Officer" - What the hell does that actually mean? That is a made up title if ever I heard one. Is he even an officer of the company or do they just wheel him out for PR stunts and public holidays?

Sorry - don't like the guy, personally I find him superficial, but then what do I know... I went a bought a Phantom lol :lol:

I thought it was quite interesting and Colin Guin speaks ok better the most people luke interviews. Normally they dont actually sit down and talk to him but run and hide so this may be a first for we ade change lol.

The limits I see as a good thing and it helps protect DJI's but in case of a moron doi.g the wrong thing. What DJI is doing here is to give them the defense that they gave all the tools needed for the person to stay within regulations but they themselves knowingly went beyond these.

For the majority of users setting limits within legal laws will help as many people want to fly within their local regulations, flying los seeing altitdue and distance is pretty much impossible and onky in fpv with osd do you get all the info you need to decide if you want to fly within or outside regulations.

DJI know that its quite likely someone doing something very stupid will be using their products ajd they need to cover their backside as much as possible. This is good for all of us too as it can show those making regulations that dji is dojng what it can to allow all users to fly within or at least be aware of local regulations. These regulations are so all over the place anyway all grey lines mostly s
and they will only be used against you if you do something you really shouldn't have done.

Lukes angle here is more on the covering of protests and exposing government wrongdoing then for us general hobby flyer's. Though with most places at least within the fuzzy rules flying over crowded areas is not legal so if you do then there are laws that can be used against you if the police dont like the phantom in the air.

martcerv said:
Though with most places at least within the fuzzy rules flying over crowded areas is not legal so if you do then there are laws that can be used against you if the police dont like the phantom in the air.

Absolutely agree with you - wonder how Mr Guinn gets away with this then (03:56 onwards) :lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7058PKBvDAk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj