COLD TEMPERATURES : What is Safe? for flying

My IT guys recommended I reschedule my cold weather (22F degrees) flight this morning because the tablet screen is likely to freeze if outside for some time. A call to Samsung confirmed that the recommended operating temperature environment for my Galaxy tablet is 32F to 119F degrees. I was told that the screen was likely to suddenly go dark when the liquid display freezes up. Also, Phantom battery time is reduced in the cold weather. My work-around was going to be to keep the batteries in my foam-lined transport case along with a hand-warmer pack thrown into it until I needed them. Looks like I'll now be flying on Monday when temps are expected to rebound to near 60F.

Reactions: Bhloscaidh
In the high 20's is the coldest I've flown in.
Flight times are slightly decreased and lift isn't as pronounced. Keep your batteries warm by keeping them in your pocket or warm vehicle. Keep hands warm with chemical warmers in pockets and/or good gloves. Look into a "Transmitter glove" if you plan on doing a lot of winter flights

https://www.google.com/search?q=transmi ... &oq=&gs_l=

MapMaker53 said:
My IT guys recommended I reschedule my cold weather (22F degrees) flight this morning because the tablet screen is likely to freeze if outside for some time. A call to Samsung confirmed that the recommended operating temperature environment for my Galaxy tablet is 32F to 119F degrees. I was told that the screen was likely to suddenly go dark when the liquid display freezes up. Also, Phantom battery time is reduced in the cold weather. My work-around was going to be to keep the batteries in my foam-lined transport case along with a hand-warmer pack thrown into it until I needed them. Looks like I'll now be flying on Monday when temps are expected to rebound to near 60F.

I wouldn't have thought about my monitor freezing. Good heads up. I haven't actually flown FPV in subfreezing temps. I guess this holds true for my Black Pearl monitor as well. I wonder if the Fat Shark googles suffer the same fate if used in below freezing temps?

mapmaker53 : Good thinking. IDEA: put a handwarmer pack against back of cellphone or tablet to keep it warm. Anyone want to test that?

There are military-grade tablets available that can withstand extreme temperatures, but I'm told they cost a few thousand a piece. My firm decided to forgo that cost and bought regular tablets for field work and are now regretting that decision on one of our projects.

You guys are all wusses :lol: . That being said, I hate cold weather just as much as anyone else despite living in Canada.... I've used all sorts of electronic devices in sub 0 temps, sometimes as far as -20 degrees Celsius (that's -2 Fahrenheit for the Americans).

While my Phantom hasn't experienced winter yet, I do plan on taking it out a bit. I won't be going for distance records because I do believe the battery range will be impacted, but of course it will fly just fine. You can even see countless snowboarding drone videos on YouTube, many of them also shot with a Phantom.

There's a guy on here who took his Phantom on an expedition to the Arctic circle. I wonder what happened to him....

I agree with Coffee only was thinking of a different word to describe the category. I logged around 80 flights last winter with a F550 w/Naza V2 and all at temps below 32F and a couple flights @ -5 to -7F. Battery performance was slightly less but not a biggee. Took the battery/hex from a +70 house directly to the cold. This included a 7"ground station display. Only issues were fingers and icing whenever there was ice fog. Been a very warm winter so far and the coldest I've flown my Phantom in was the low teens F. An issue with the ipad was heat activated icons which means no gloves. I ordered the new TX for my phantom so I could do cam tilt with gloves.

I have flown the P2V in 5F degrees unknown windchill. It is really not fun because the touch pads stop functioning. 18F degrees I could get a full flight in, and any temp above the 18F degrees was no problem at all.

I live in NW Ohio... Its cold now.... Have a flew flights.... The only problem I have is my fingers freeze before anything else... Why the hell am I living in Ohio, at least its not Buffalo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav