Cold screens - cold fingers ..... and hard to get taps to work ?

Reaction score
I have noticed that my tablet is easy to tap commands to indoors - but once out in the field with temps 0 down to -5C etc. - the taps sometimes are hard to get to work.

One flight other day - took about 20 taps to get RTH to cancel.

Anyone else notice this ?

I think I might have to invest in those gloves with 'touch screen tips' ....

Nigel

I have noticed that my tablet is easy to tap commands to indoors - but once out in the field with temps 0 down to -5C etc. - the taps sometimes are hard to get to work.

Nigel
I've tried the touch gloves before and found them awkward and not very precise. I've been using a stylus with my nvidia tablet and I like it so far.

I have various stylus ... but not all work well ... may look at that as well.

Nigel

Most gloves that work with screens usually are awkward but I got a slightly more expensive pair for Christmas made by north face and they work great for flying when it's cold out.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I am currently having this problem, not that I use the screen much apart from viewing during flight. I did invest in a pair of these before I came to Norway, they look bulky but if you get them in a tight size they are pretty accurate and nice and warm. (I got them large so I could fit glove liners under, it's -20 here sometimes)

I realise you don't live in UK, but just wanted to find a link to show you.

I use bicycle gloves (w/o fingertips) when -1C or warmer, and leather ones with cutted-of two of fingers, if colder. OK, to be honest, I never flought below -8C - -10C, because I'm afraid abouth battery and propeller issues (as far I've read, they become bristle, which sounds realistic).
And, between batteries, I warm up my hands - just a quick go-through of photos and videos acquired.
Have tried with touchscreen gloves, but did not like them very much.

I use iPad pro 9,7" and, I think, with my iPhone's smaller screen the cold were a bit more a problem due to more cramped interface.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Well, technically electronics aren't supposed to be used in below 32F, 0C..... but I know it's too hard not to. So you have to just expect some problems and glitches.

Nigel

I haven't noticed this with my iPhone 7 Plus flying my P3S in temps around 0-5 C. If I don't wear some kind of gloves, however, my fingers start getting numb and I can't feel my finger touching the screen. If I'm flying in the cold, I try to minimize the need to touch the screen, and to cancel RTH I would just toggle the S1 switch instead.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20