Cold gimbal stopped working

Reaction score
First flight today with my P4. Temp outside was 40 degrees. First battery great. 2nd battery, gimbal went limp about 3 minutes into flight. I could still see, but the gimbal was just hanging out.

After the P4 warmed up in my truck I tried it again, and everything worked fine. Is this normal?

I have seen my gimbal going all crazy twice but that was below freezing point. I noticed some condensation before so most likely it froze in the prop wash. If you haven't had any similar problems before then I believe it's due to temperature. Freezing condensation can cause all kinds of problems.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I'm brand new to the Phantom fun, so this was my first flight. I'm assuming temperature is the cause, but it seemed a little strange. Very fun flying even without the camera, but it just made it a little more nerve racking when I couldn't see the view on my screen.

Renegade - I have experienced the same issue in about the same conditions. Wind and cold seemed to cause a gimbal overload with the gimbal motors in my case. Restarted the P4 and it was right back to normal. 10 flights since with no issues.

Last edited:
While flying yesterday in 35 deg F weather mine go blue would occasionally droop but it recovered each time after a few seconds.

I'll see if it happens again today.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Flew yesterday again, at a higher altitude and it was 34 outside. No issues! Must have been the 2nd flight that did it. Sure is fun!

Renegade - I have experienced the same issue in about the same conditions. Wind and cold seemed to cause a gimbal overload with the gimbal motors in my case. Restarted the P4 and it was right back to normal. 10 flights since with no issues.

Same happens to me with my Phantom 3 Pro. Cold and windy, the gimbal hangs limp during second flight or on it's return near the end of the first flight. 40 degrees F and sunny. It happened to me for the first time a year ago when I was flying in 20 degree F calm air, and hadn't happened again until yesterday. This concerns me because I have a survey to do Monday in similar weather.

I have figured it out on mine. In below freezing, or even close, I can get one flight for sure. If I want a 2nd flight, or more, I take the P4 into my truck with the heat on and get it back to warm. No issues since!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic