CNC Milling Hardshell Backpack

Reaction score
I have been looking into having the foam insert of the hard shell backpack being cnc milled to fit the iPad or device of choice so that it fits snug and has no chance of being damaged in transit.

I have emailed a few companies in the hope that this could be done at a small cost. here is enough space for it to be milled and it would mean a better fit rather than the device sliding around and possibly getting damaged.

At the moment I simply remove the foam place the iPad in and close it up. I am planning to have it milled and having a velcro strap or tensioning strap placed to hold it in place.

Does anyone here CNC Mill? Is it possible?

I have been looking into having the foam insert of the hard shell backpack being cnc milled to fit the iPad or device of choice so that it fits snug and has no chance of being damaged in transit.

I have emailed a few companies in the hope that this could be done at a small cost. here is enough space for it to be milled and it would mean a better fit rather than the device sliding around and possibly getting damaged.

At the moment I simply remove the foam place the iPad in and close it up. I am planning to have it milled and having a velcro strap or tensioning strap placed to hold it in place.

Does anyone here CNC Mill? Is it possible?

You could probably use a router bit and a Dremel for what you want to do. Either way you can rent equipment at home depot. Though by your post it looks like you want a shop to do it for you. Don't know any off hand for that.

I have a CNC router table in my garage - 4'x6'. Just finished milling some aluminum brackets last night. I'm probably nowhere near you though. :D

I do some milling and other machining. Tho trying to mill soft foam would be a pretty tall order being that its to soft to mill it away very easy unless it were frozen in liquid nitrogen first like how machineing soft rubber is done.

If any thing and you want to find a place that can cut it for you. try some place that does lazar cutting instead. Tho even then if you are just talking about a 1 off job its going to be expensive esp if they have to also do the cad drawing file for the cuts you need first. and other set up costs. Before they even cut it for you.

I do some milling and other machining. Tho trying to mill soft foam would be a pretty tall order being that its to soft to mill it away very easy unless it were frozen in liquid nitrogen first like how machineing soft rubber is done.

If any thing and you want to find a place that can cut it for you. try some place that does lazar cutting instead. Tho even then if you are just talking about a 1 off job its going to be expensive esp if they have to also do the cad drawing file for the cuts you need first. and other set up costs. Before they even cut it for you.
Thank you for your advice, I am going to attempt cutting it out with a wire foam cutter, I'll post the results once I have done it.

Looking forward to seeing your results.

RedHotPoker

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl