Clouds

Reaction score
We need several cloud sequences for a film we're making.

Early to mid-morning today was as forecast: dense cloud cover (which isn't common here). Previously, we hadn't flown higher than 120m or 390ft. We took off from one of our higher points, about 1,700m or 5,500ft above sea level.

At approximately 400m above ground level, we passed through lower cloud. Unfortunately, we couldn't get above the higher cloud before reaching the 500m maximum.

We made a second flight about 45 minutes later from a different spot on our nature reserve, again going through lower cloud.

Although we failed to get the desired footage of sunlight cloud from just above the main cloud layer, we nevertheless made a pleasing start and got some usable footage.

There was no real sign of moisture on the drone or ND/PL filter when back on the ground, and the film was unimpaired. It was "just" cloud - i.e. it didn't rain.

If anyone else is thinking "Can I go through cloud without the drone being adversely affected?" then our initial experience suggests "Yes".

We hope to film building thunderstorm clouds at some point in the weeks ahead, which is the footage we really need.

What is everyone else's experience of filming clouds? It would be good to know, to help accelerate our learning curve.

Reactions: BigAl07
What is everyone else's experience of filming clouds? It would be good to know, to help accelerate our learning curve.

You won't get a lot of response because so many areas now have strict altitude restrictions imposed in order to maintain UAS to Manned Aircraft separation.

Different clouds and conditions will bring different amounts of visible moisture to your aircraft. Temperature of the aircraft in comparison to the cloud/moisture plays an integral role in the amount of moisture transferred to the aircraft.

I've flown briefly in fog (ground level clouds) and had my aircraft dripping wet afterwards and I've flown through some other clouds for hours (sail planes) and never got a drop of moisture on/in the aircraft that I could tell.

BigA107: Thanks. I fully appreciate the safety factor, but guess some others will have had opportunities like us nevertheless. Being high up to begin with helps get nearer to clouds.

Your experience of different clouds (wet/dry) confirms what little I've read about. We wouldn't risk clouds which were already producing rain. Any experience of thunderstorm clouds, especially wind associated with them?

I have flown hang gliders in and through clouds, never got really wet, but have had ice form all over everything, when the temp fell as I rose. Have had my sunglasses fog up though. Same thing with Ultra-light aircraft, flown through clouds, fog and such, not really getting wet, but it was cold.:)

BigA107: Thanks. I fully appreciate the safety factor, but guess some others will have had opportunities like us nevertheless. Being high up to begin with helps get nearer to clouds.

Your experience of different clouds (wet/dry) confirms what little I've read about. We wouldn't risk clouds which were already producing rain. Any experience of thunderstorm clouds, especially wind associated with them?

To be honest the only time I intentionally flew around storm clouds I got caught in a slight rain and I kept flying. Friends around me warned of the pending problems of rain & electronics but I "knew better" and I kept flying. I had the confidence of a HERO and nothing was going to stop me from showing off my skills.

I ended up taking my beautiful stunt plane home in a trash bag. Apparently the moisture found it's way into the electronics inside the aircraft and I lost all control. It started flipping, spinning, diving, climbing, accelerating, decelerating all with no input from me. It met up with Terra Firma at a very high rate of speed and "rotation".

To be honest the only time I intentionally flew around storm clouds I got caught in a slight rain and I kept flying. Friends around me warned of the pending problems of rain & electronics but I "knew better" and I kept flying. I had the confidence of a HERO and nothing was going to stop me from showing off my skills.

I ended up taking my beautiful stunt plane home in a trash bag. Apparently the moisture found it's way into the electronics inside the aircraft and I lost all control. It started flipping, spinning, diving, climbing, accelerating, decelerating all with no input from me. It met up with Terra Firma at a very high rate of speed and "rotation".
Yup, not good to fly wet.:(

Many thanks to you both. Your experience is adding to our caution. When (if) we eventually get building thunderstorm clouds one afternoon in the coming weeks/months, we'll be very careful and get the necessary footage before any downpour begins - and from a safe distance.

I know that some amateur aviation pilots occasionally get away with flying recklessly, but the odd exception doesn't change or challenge the wise rule which has been made for good reason.

Again, much appreciated.

We need several cloud sequences for a film we're making.

Early to mid-morning today was as forecast: dense cloud cover (which isn't common here). Previously, we hadn't flown higher than 120m or 390ft. We took off from one of our higher points, about 1,700m or 5,500ft above sea level.

At approximately 400m above ground level, we passed through lower cloud. Unfortunately, we couldn't get above the higher cloud before reaching the 500m maximum.

We made a second flight about 45 minutes later from a different spot on our nature reserve, again going through lower cloud.

Although we failed to get the desired footage of sunlight cloud from just above the main cloud layer, we nevertheless made a pleasing start and got some usable footage.

There was no real sign of moisture on the drone or ND/PL filter when back on the ground, and the film was unimpaired. It was "just" cloud - i.e. it didn't rain.

If anyone else is thinking "Can I go through cloud without the drone being adversely affected?" then our initial experience suggests "Yes".

We hope to film building thunderstorm clouds at some point in the weeks ahead, which is the footage we really need.

Come on now, if your going to being near anything wet , we suggest you take a look at the Phantomrain.org and check out a Wet Suit as its going to give you every possible benefit we can give you to get the shots and bring it home.

We have dozen videos now of how the Phantom Rain Wet Suit can be a great tool for you to use ,

This is 26 minutes in the pouring rain. I have also included the last Snow Blizzard Video we shot .

Reactions: Solly747400
PhantomWetSuits: Do you have any footage shot from the P4P in the rain (as different from of the drone)?

We do have several videos of shooting in the rain on are website: phantomrain.org at the bottom of the page.
You will notice that it takes a heavy rain in order for the camera to see the rain which is why we film near the river so you can see the rain.

Reactions: ferncfc
Unexpectedly, we had low cloud on the plateau early this morning so we changed plans. For the first time, we got above all of the cloud which was only 240m above our (1,731m) ground level. Beautiful. And the drone was dry on landing.

Unexpectedly, we had low cloud on the plateau early this morning so we changed plans. For the first time, we got above all of the cloud which was only 240m above our (1,731m) ground level. Beautiful. And the drone was dry on landing.

I have seen some amazing footage above the clouds and never did the drone come back wet . Have you seen this footage from

This is the singe video that made me get a drone: This remains the best footage I have ever seen: Thought I would share it with you.

I have had no problems flying through clouds at all. This is a screen shot from my video
1514116971124.png

P3A came back dry. I also flew in the rain and it came back soaked, it crashed on a roof upside down and it rained 14 hours straight as it was stuck up there upside down letting all the rain pour in. When I finally got it back the next day... No problems.. 4 months after that... Still flies as good as the day it was bought. No need for wet suits or worry about moisture in the clouds. Here is the link to the video if you want to see it fly in the pouring rain (the start of the video) and also the cloud flight is in there too over the ocean

I was in Dali, Yunnan, China. Dali is at 1900m above sea level.
I flew through some clouds and even a little bit higher. It was a little bit scary. But it wasn't raining.
No particular problem. I'll try to edit a video to show you. I was flying at 300m height more or less.

I had more troubles another time. I was still in Yunnan, there were few clouds and lots lots of humidity.
I couldn't see it very clearly on the tablet. When back home, I found out that ALL the footage is unusable because of the mist. It is greyish and awful. I am gessing that the camera lense got humid.

Merry Christmas to all fellow pilots !

Thank you for the comments above. I’ll admit, I’m nervous about flying through/above clouds but we need footage - especially if/when we get dramatic thunderstorm clouds.

Better here, I guess, than in England’s green and pleasant lands where it’s often raining. ☔

I look forward to seeing your video, Why.

I really appreciate this forum’s members because there’s so much to learn. Merry Christmas to everyone!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20