Cloud cover and satellite connection

Reaction score
does cloud cover and wind effect satellite connection?
just went out for a fly in my normal spot in my garden where i always fly from with no problem picking up satellites but today it wouldnt just blink green it was giving two red blinks and would occasionally go down to one red blink but then back to two again?? i was in the exact same spot i always fly from but it was a bit overcast and about 17mph winds.
any thoughts??
cheers

max01726 said:
just went out for a fly in my normal spot in my garden where i always fly from with no problem picking up satellites but today it wouldnt just blink green it was giving two red blinks and would occasionally go down to one red blink but then back to two again?? i was in the exact same spot i always fly from but it was a bit overcast and about 17mph winds.
any thoughts??
cheers

Yes... I've experienced that and all the others around:

1) Buildings, trees or other sourrounding obstacles.
2) Metal under take off surface or near to it.
3) Cloudy day/night
4) Solar radiation ( there are some apps for verifiying before fly)
5) Interference caused by other electronic stuff (gimbal motor, batteries, VTX, another GPS from OSD, etc)
6) Non IMU calibration with Naza Assistant

max01726 said:
any thoughts??
cheers

Wind and clouds should not have a noticeable impact on satellite reception unless the clouds are about to burst open with a reasonable downpour or you're about to have a thunderstorm (cumulonimbus). The amount of unobstructed sky over the GPS receiver as far down to the horizon as possible is the primary factor. Don't launch right next to a house or building where half of the sky is obstructed from view. Trees will also have their leafy way with your GPS signal. Their not as bad but if they're dense enough, they will cut the signal down.

I've been on my boat hundreds of times and weather has never effected my GPS satellite connections. Clear blue skies to pouring rain, I always lock into 10-12

My gps in the old car I had was real pain in the butt when it got cloudy.. Wouldn't display the image -- at all.. On my new car, the gps is positioned with a greater view of the sky-- ie: on the dash, and I haven't had the problems.. I used to get 12 satellites on my vision 2, before I shipped the copter out to have it fixed due to the left drift.. The guy said the gps wasn't working at all ?? (I don't think so) .. He replaced it, and now I'm lucky to hit 9.. Last flight it averaged 7-- partly cloudy sky.. I wonder if the guy screwed up when he replaced the gps unit.. Lot of little electronic parts on that chip. It would be easy to do....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj