Close call!

Reaction score
Made a small mistake with my new P3a last night. Was just messing around flying it around the lake I live on. My home point was actually in my front yard in a clearing. I set it up and made sure to set the RTH height above all the trees. I didn't take off by the lake because of all the trees around the shore. So I took off up front, flew over to the back, and proceeded to fly my battery. At 30%, I got the low battery warning. I brought it close and continued to fly close to me. Shortly after, I got the final warning that it would RTH in 10 seconds. I quickly brought it to me and landed. Suddenly, it took back off! I'm guessing it didn't register it had landed before the final RTH warning. It took off flew through a small gap in the trees. Then flew over the trees and house too the home point and landed. After researching what happened, I realised it's possible to cancel a RTH on low battery. Is this true? My battery was at about 20% when this happened and was at 14 when it finally landed. Scared me and barely missed the trees.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I think when final warning appears theres a popup window in app and you can hit cancel and it wont take control or something like that but Iam not 100% sure so maybe someone will be.

Perhaps you should consider adjusting your criteria to land and swap batteries to a higher low power level.

Made a small mistake with my new P3a last night. Was just messing around flying it around the lake I live on. My home point was actually in my front yard in a clearing. I set it up and made sure to set the RTH height above all the trees. I didn't take off by the lake because of all the trees around the shore. So I took off up front, flew over to the back, and proceeded to fly my battery. At 30%, I got the low battery warning. I brought it close and continued to fly close to me. Shortly after, I got the final warning that it would RTH in 10 seconds. I quickly brought it to me and landed. Suddenly, it took back off! I'm guessing it didn't register it had landed before the final RTH warning. It took off flew through a small gap in the trees. Then flew over the trees and house too the home point and landed. After researching what happened, I realised it's possible to cancel a RTH on low battery. Is this true? My battery was at about 20% when this happened and was at 14 when it finally landed. Scared me and barely missed the trees.

Same happened to me but I was not as lucky as you :(

Sorry to hear that Joey. Did you attempt to cancel the RTH? I didn't in my situation because I didn't know you can.

Sorry to hear that Joey. Did you attempt to cancel the RTH? I didn't in my situation because I didn't know you can.

Well, I had flown for about 20 minutes and decided it would be a good time to do the drain down to 8% since I had recently upgraded to the Sep FW. DJI recommends the drain to 8% to recalibrate the battery info.
I didn’t want to do the drain where I had just flown because it was right next to a lake so I guided the P3 down a short path towards the parking lot where I wanted to do the drain by hovering the P3 a foot off the ground.

The path has trees that over hang it. The P3 said it was going to RTH due to battery while I was under the trees. At that exact same moment an email came in and a notification popped up at the top of the iPad. This stole focus from the Go app and the normal prompt to cancel RTH did not show up and I panicked. I have successfully canceled dozens of RTH initiations in the past so I was never concerned.
I tried to land her and got within 2 inches from the ground when she initiated RTH. I should have done a CSC at that point. The trees were only about 12 feet high so it did not crash too hard. After testing, I am still not sure if holding the RTH button will cancel the a RTH until it actually gets initiated after the 10 second warning. Gotta do more testing.

Anyway, my iPad now has no email or anything else enabled on it. It is strictly for my DJI quads. Purchased a new shell from DJI and my P3 flies perfectly again. I also had to replace “Aircraft Power Port Module” since it had a crack where one the screw holes is.

LESSON LEARNED.

I hate to say it but that little tidbit IS in the manual, emergency recovery is one of the MOST important things you need to know BEFORE you fly. And yes, you can cancel a low battery RTH event from the pop up on the screen, if the pop up is not showing then press and hold the RTH button and it will then show on the screen. The important thing to remember it to both adjust your critical low battery level to you flying conditions and experience. Never fly to a critical level if it can be avoided, unless you like watching your $1000 Phantom land in a lake, parking lot, or in the middle of a highway. Please fly safe....

Reactions: trigon

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic