close call!

Reaction score
Recently swapped my P3S landing skids to P3A landing skids. Initially i was a little concerned with the new compass working properly. After seeing no difference in connectors I went for it.

The compass does work but gave me a good scare yesterday while flying. Doing a calibration in what I consider a not so great environment (school parking lot) the go app showed the compass was normal and i took off.

Scared the crap out of me seeing the screen pitch like that while flying. Video is only a min long.
Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

You can see in the video that things got a little sideways. The quad put itself in Atti mode 2m 31s into the flight and I was able to fly it back... this time.

Obviously I need to re-calibrate in a clean area and try again but wanted to run all this by you guys first. would you be thinking this is more then likely a compass error due to bad calibration or could there be some sort of issue with the new compass?

I fly this area almost every other day and have never had a issue of any kind.
Thanks!

That is scary. A few weeks back I had a brief compass error after a take off. I had taken off in between two metal guardrails. That's the only thing I can think that affected it. It wasn't far off so as it drifted in ATTI it was able to keep it stable. It regained GPS though and all was well.

I would try to recalibrate in a big field.

I would try to recalibrate in a big field.

I drove to a big open field to recalibrate. Flew a whole battery no issues. Later I went back to the spot from my original post. Flew 2 batteries with no issues.

I guess it was just a bad calibration after all. I was overly concerned because of the recent compass replacement I did..

Interesting that AirData didn't pick up a compass issue...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20