Close call with Manual mode

Reaction score
Hi all, today I almost destroy my P2 when accidentally turned manual mode on, it just dropped like a rock from 90 feet high, I was using Atti mode and tried to activate home lock, but used the wrong hand, when I realized what was going on, just got time to enable atti again and full throttle on left hand, bird hit the ground heavily, and gained altitude again, because of impact the gimbal got crazy and reset, fortunately only a non stock leg got broken, but this was a really close call, if I have taken an extra second to react, I'm sure story would be completely different.

Cheers

That's pretty scary dude. I hit the wrong switch too sometimes, but I don't have manual mode activated on the switch. It just goes into failsafe.
Good thing that you realised what was happening and switched back.

I'm just wondering why you enabled manual mode instead of RTH on the switch.
Having flown any type RC craft that flies, including quads, I'm very aware how the Phantom would react in manual mode. If I'd want the thrill back of manual flying I'd buy a cheap quad or lounge my nitro CP helicopter for that matter. I never got the Phantom to stunt with.

I fly manual mode a lot. 1st thing you need to do when going from GPS to manual or ATTI to manual is throttle up..
I guess you know that by now :)

I like manual mod but if you are unsure of how to fly in manual put that switch back to RTH so you don't crash .

That's pretty scary dude. I hit the wrong switch too sometimes, but I don't have manual mode activated on the switch. It just goes into failsafe.
Good thing that you realised what was happening and switched back.

I'm just wondering why you enabled manual mode instead of RTH on the switch.
Having flown any type RC craft that flies, including quads, I'm very aware how the Phantom would react in manual mode. If I'd want the thrill back of manual flying I'd buy a cheap quad or lounge my nitro CP helicopter for that matter. I never got the Phantom to stunt with.

I have enabled the manual mode just in case of a flyaway, don't know if this would make any difference, hope to never find out (knock wood), but if happens at least will have an idea where it ended [emoji6] if my manual control skills fails (probably!). [emoji111]

Your right about saving you in a possible flyaway helped me out twice . If that is your goal I would suggest practicing with manual mode so that dose not happen to you agin . Just remember if your bird is light nothing on it when going into manual it will rise if it is heavy it will drop . Just practice you'll be fine .be easy with the sticks because she will respond dramatically compared to GPS or ATTI .
GL!

Your right about saving you in a possible flyaway helped me out twice . If that is your goal I would suggest practicing with manual mode so that dose not happen to you agin . Just remember if your bird is light nothing on it when going into manual it will rise if it is heavy it will drop . Just practice you'll be fine .be easy with the sticks because she will respond dramatically compared to GPS or ATTI .
GL!

Good to know, thank you!
How high would you consider safe for practice?

I did this once as well. Phantom suddenly went bonkers and I was thinking "Oh crap! Fly aways are real!" After picking up my crashed copter, I had a close look at my mode switch and realized I had switched the wrong way from ATTI. Derp!

I have since added a change to my Futaba profile that prevents an accidental switch to manual. Switching to manual will actually stay in ATTI unless the momentary switch on the bottom right is lifted up.

GL!

Possibly a noob question but I have been wondering about this for some time... I have Manual Mode enabled (not FS) for the very reason of saving her in the event of a fly-away. Am I correct in assuming that MM will give me a greater chance than FS of regaining control?

Not unless you know how to fly in manual mode.

Reactions: 750r
Having a simple switch to go into manual mode usually ends in disaster at some point ...
One wrong "click" and kaboom.. lol
My plan in the event of a fly-away is to do a CSC at an opportune moment.. voila!
At least I'll still have the bits... :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

ATTI is the fallback for compass/GPS errors. More common.
Manual is the fallback for IMU errors. Less common but they exist.

Reactions: 750r
Good to know, thank you!
How high would you consider safe for practice?
Well that is hard to say if you have good eyes 70m would be good you need to see how the bird reacts so you get a better understanding of full control .DO NOT go heavy on the sticks my P2 is around 1280 and to hold a altitude I need about 60% on the stick . Remember if things start to go bad pop it back into GPS immediately practice a little at a time and before you know it you'll be doing flips & rolls :)

Reactions: FedeVision
My plan in the event of a fly-away is to do a CSC at an opportune moment.. voila!
At least I'll still have the bits...
During a 'fly away' you most likely have no control at all. So your attempt to shut down the motors will not work. Unless you regained control, in which way you don't have to shut down anymore in the first place because you have control to fly it back.

Catch 22?

ATTI is the fallback for compass/GPS errors. More common.
Manual is the fallback for IMU errors. Less common but they exist.
I concur with the logic of that.
You don't need Manual for preventing a 'Fly Away'. Atti will get you out of problems as long as you have control range left. If you don't have control range left, Manual will not help as well.
However, if the flight controller would malfunction you would probably be able to get home safe, because you're in full control yourself. Only then Manual would safe you.

But as you say, it is rare. It happened to my FC40 however. The Naza went totally mad because the battery connection didn't hold contact. The power was not constant and it went crazy. It actually changed to manual mode itself. The Naza wasn't doing anything. Fortunately I can fly manual, so I felt what was going on and saved it from going into the lake.

But still, my switch is on FS. Manual flying for fun is nice but with a cheaper quad.

Ha, did it again, hit manual mode by mistake,

Did a little mode on my RC to try to avoid accidental manual mode, seems to work, it's a tiny piece of double side tape, easy to remove when practicing or emergency situation, will see.

SAM_1383.JPG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31