Clip on landing gear extenders for gimbal users

Reaction score
Would anyone be interested in some 3D printed clip on leg extenders offered in 1"-3" extensions?

They would insert into the recessed portion on the inside of the stock landing gear with two plastic clips over the top which would hold everything firmly in place. Easy on easy off.

Let me know and I'll get the ball rolling.

The idea spawned from the PVC pipe clip mod I saw somewhere, like in the link below, but would be a more customized stock look if developed. This way we RP gimbal users could just unclip the extenders and fit the bird in the case, in place of using extended longer gear which won't fit in a case.

One concern of mine, once my gimbal gets here and is installed, is the camera and filter kit (not installed yet in the link below) hitting the ground when landing. This will solve any grounding issues.

High res: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8mDVh ... sp=sharing

I will say the PVC option is unbelievably sturdy, light, and cheap. So maybe a 3D printed solution is not needed.

Attachments

• DSC04844_resize.JPG
    DSC04844_resize.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 2,085
gfredrone said:
Would anyone be interested in some 3D printed clip on leg extenders offered in 1"-3" extensions?

They would insert into the recessed portion on the inside of the stock landing gear with two plastic clips over the top which would hold everything firmly in place. Easy on easy off.

Here is a quick and easy solution I found online.

cvmn.jpg

gfredrone said:

I would definitely be interested, I thought of trying to do something with shape ways but I'm no 3d expert.

arinvideo said:
gfredrone said:

I would definitely be interested, I thought of trying to do something with shape ways but I'm no 3d expert.

I'm in the same boat but a client of mine does prototyping as his business. I'm going to get with him next week to go over my ideas and see what kind of conceptual design we can put out.

gfredrone said:
arinvideo said:
gfredrone said:

I'm in the same boat but a client of mine does prototyping as his business. I'm going to get with him next week to go over my ideas and see what kind of conceptual design we can put out.

Fantastic, like you said it wouldn't need much just a couple inches and the ability to remove it for our precut foam cases.

RCRookie said:
gfredrone said:

Here is a quick and easy solution I found online.

That would work and is a great idea like the PVC pipe cut outs but I'm looking for a more polished snap on solution. 2 seconds for on and off of each leg type of thing.

Basically imagine about 1" of the bottom stock landing skid duplicated. The extender would snap over and into the recessed portion of the current gear and have the exact same look but add another inch or so of clearance.

An idea I've had is to make small clips that stay attached to the bottom of the Phantom. Into the clips would snap aluminum rods that are actually the extensions and would be easily removable. I think this could be a simple design that would create lightweight extensions that are taller and wider than just plastic snap-on pieces.

If anyone makes a billion bucks from this idea, please remember me around the holidays. :)

-- Roger

I know this is a P2V forum being a P2 man. Sorry for being late in this post...Just a general thought if any non gimbel P2'ers stumble across this, as I did, this clip/rings post would help them too. With regard to a gimbel if fitted later: Clips/rings like these (as does the leg and foot unmodified) will appear in in the FOV when the Phantom is tilted left as in a side wind or moving left as the gimbel stays level, with the camera pointing straight down. Especially noticeable in Wide or Super Wide FOV. Just bear it in mind...although this is a cheap solution for an interim solution.

This problem, for me is a bigger one than raising the standing height. I use a small PVC plastic sheet helipad so my camera never comes near any stones, grass etc and is protected nicely. I'm working on a solution to the leg in the FOV without having to mutilate the leg too much. I'll post when I prove my idea works...

Great idea. I just got a Phantom 2 with Hero3. If this is still something you or anyone is doing, I would love to hear about it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20