Climbed way above max altitude

Reaction score
I took my Phantom 4 out for a little flight this morning. My preset max altitude is set for 120 meters. While ascending I noticed that my altitude reported on my iPad was over 500 feet. It was about that time I also lost connection with my P4. Tonight while looking at my recorded flight data on the DJI Go app I noticed it reported a total height of 604 feet. I thought the P4 was supposed to limit its ability to climb over the max altitude setting configured. Thoughts?

Craig

Reactions: Neon Euc
If you upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here, we can take a look and help you figure out what happened.

Last edited:
I took my Phantom 4 out for a little flight this morning. My preset max altitude is set for 120 meters. While ascending I noticed that my altitude reported on my iPad was over 500 feet. It was about that time I also lost connection with my P4. Tonight while looking at my recorded flight data on the DJI Go app I noticed it reported a total height of 604 feet. I thought the P4 was supposed to limit its ability to climb over the max altitude setting configured. Thoughts?
Looking at flight data for users that set a Max Altitude, you see Max Altitude Reached notifications and the Phantom doesn't go any higher.
To understand what's happening with yours, the first step would be to confirm what yours is set to.
Because the setting is stored in the Phantom, you'd have to have it connected to see what's there.

Looking at flight data for users that set a Max Altitude, you see Max Altitude Reached notifications and the Phantom doesn't go any higher.
To understand what's happening with yours, the first step would be to confirm what yours is set to.
Because the setting is stored in the Phantom, you'd have to have it connected to see what's there.
Agreed. The most obvious answer is usually the simplest. I bet it was accidently set to more than 120 meters.

Craig

You lost signal at only 500ft ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Yeah I lost signal at 500 feet. Now I was 500 feet vertically above me with very little horizontal distance. Also how do I go about getting those files to upload? I am a believer that most things can be equated to user error. So if I am doing something wrong I need to learn how to correct it.

You'll find instructions at my link above.

For whatever reason you lost connection to the aircraft (Downlink) during the transition from 300.9' to 443' AGL. I would have thought she would have stopped around 398 or so if you had 120M set ast MAX altitude. Keep in mind that's on the aircraft side so it should have stopped even though it wasn't connected to the Tx during that brief period of time.

Have you gone back into the ap and checked to make sure it's set at 120M?

For whatever reason you lost connection to the aircraft (Downlink) during the transition from 300.9' to 443' AGL. I would have thought she would have stopped around 398 or so if you had 120M set ast MAX altitude. Keep in mind that's on the aircraft side so it should have stopped even though it wasn't connected to the Tx during that brief period of time.

Have you gone back into the ap and checked to make sure it's set at 120M?

Yeah I did go back and confirm that the max altitude set is 120M. Just a little disconcerting. I personally see no reason on flying above 400 feet and I do want to fly legal. If I had control of the Phantom I would have never let it climb above 400 feet.

Reactions: RoyVa
When you checked the max altitude setting, was your bird on and connected to the RC? My app always shows 120m if it's not connected to the bird. Once it's connected, it shows 190m (I have it set there so I can fly at 400 ft AGL over a 160ft hill).

f16falcon6, according to your flight log, your Phantom never hit the max altitude. Like Pharm noted above, you'll need to ensure your Phantom is connected to DJI GO when verifying/setting that setting.

So I did check the setting with my P4 powered on and connected to the DJI Go app and it was and is set to 120M.

Attachments

• 120.PNG
    120.PNG
    2.8 MB · Views: 433
I do not think it will allow you to set it higher than 120 meters. When originally setting my bird up I switched over to imperial from metric and was trying to put 400 in the box and it would not let me. That part of the app stays in metric, and it would not let me set it higher than 120.
captain kush

I suggest to reduce max height to 100m and see if it stops at that level. Don't fly directly above yourself, that's taboo. Take it out away from you 500' to test the max height limit.

I suggest to reduce max height to 100m and see if it stops at that level. Don't fly directly above yourself, that's taboo. Take it out away from you 500' to test the max height limit.
I will try and set it to a lower altitude and do another IMU calibration and fly it this evening. Will get back to you guys with my results. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.